Beds That Aren’t Just For Sleeping

Too broke to pay for a fancy meal at Top of the Hub this Valentine’s Day? FM suggests an expense
By Diane M. Nguyen

Too broke to pay for a fancy meal at Top of the Hub this Valentine’s Day? FM suggests an expense that will keep on giving. This Feb. 14, skip the foreplay and head straight to the main course. Three beds that make University-issued extra longs into destinations:

1. Maya Frommer ’07’s coordinated bedroom takes a page from Urban Outfitters. She padded her mattress with a feather bedcover and vibrant pink and orange sheets. A canopy of sheets and lantern lights partitions her bed from her common room, perfect for privacy. Her pride and joy, though, is the headboard, which she constructed by wrapping fabric and cardboard around the bed’s metal frame.

2. Steve N. Jacobs ’05 boasts the most massive bed on campus. He created a makeshift king-sized by stacking four abandoned university-issue mattresses over two bed frames two-by-two. As for whether the über-bed goes to, ahem, good use, Jacobs wryly replies: “Oh, definitely.”

3. Schuyler O. Mann ’05’s love nest is inconspicuous in leopard print. And that’s just the sheets: As a sophomore, Mann constructed a loft, ladder, and queen-sized bed frame from scratch to give him and his roommate more space. Eventually, the ladder thing got old. Today, his room in Claverly features the same wooden bed frame—now sawed in half so that it sits on the floor. He’s added an air mattress to go along with the leopard print sheets, which were, he admits, a gift from his mother.