What Did You Do Last Weekend?

Joelle is out to gauge the party scene. In the next few weeks, FM will track her progress. Attempting to
By Joelle Hobeika

Attempting to have a social life at Harvard is a tricky business. Going out on campus on weekends, the questions always nag. Am I having a good time? Am I having a better time than that geeky kid in my section who never washes his socks? And if I am fun by Harvard standards, does that mean that I would be more fun than, say, an eggplant by the standards of any other school?

I give THURSDAY (St. Paddy’s Day) about a 5 on the College scale (1 to So-College, with So-College being a 10), mainly because of wasted potential. While I was indeed wearing green (even green eyeshadow!) the Irishness stopped there. I went to the bar I go to almost every night, which is Irish only in terms of its alcoholism, and a final club that fits the bill in a similar way.

On FRIDAY night at about 10:10 p.m. my epiphany came. I was in my room in the process of getting ready, when the monk-like chant made its way to my ears. My male roommates on the rugby team were having their team drink-up in the common room upstairs. “UHS, UHS, UHS!” they cried, in voices full and strong. “I’m gonna go to the hospital!” It was then that it hit me: these guys had goals. Lofty goals. And they were actively pursuing them. It doesn’t get any more College than that.

I resolved to quit my shiftless existence and only go out with a mission.

On SATURDAY, my mission failed:I didn’t go to UHS or come close to winning the Beirut tournament I competed in.

The tournament was about as Harvard as it gets. A massively organized NCAA-style affair, it had been put on with the kind of meticulous planning, devotion to detail, and flat-out entrepreneurialism that it takes to drive a Fortune 500 company.

As I looked at the wall above me—covered in brackets, printed-out grids complete with team names, seeds, and projected winners—it dawned on me that I was part of something, maybe something special. If this is what it means to be a Harvard College student—bringing the same precision, the same drive, and the same killer Microsoft Office skills to partying as we do to life—then dammit, I’m a fan.

EPILOGUE: On Sunday morning, remnants of college life lingered. On my desk: leftovers from late-night food. On my computer: a facebook message in which a boy I’d met that night had invited me to “celebrate senior spring the RIGHT way,” complete with phone number. On me: the shirt I’d gone out in.

But as Sunday night rolled around, I found myself back at square one. At about midnight, drunken friends called asking me and my roommate to come hang out. I stayed in bed, maintaining I was going to wake up early to get work done.

When 4 a.m. rolled around and I’d done nothing more than toss and turn in bed, I realized my friends were probably right—I could be doing much more with my senior spring.

The verdict? I am not so college. Eggplant, eggplant and a half. But at least I’ve got clean socks.