Spring in Cuba

To some Americans, Cuba is a failed Communist experiment and a source of high-quality, illicit cigars. To Harvard students, it’s
By Gracye Y. Cheng

To some Americans, Cuba is a failed Communist experiment and a source of high-quality, illicit cigars. To Harvard students, it’s the newest academic destination of choice.

This spring, Harvard will offer a study abroad program at the University of Havana, an experience that would “otherwise be illegal for U.S. citizens and residents because of the U.S. embargo on trade with Cuba,” says the Web site for the Office of International Programs (OIP).

Study in Cuba has recently become more difficult because of new regulations that make it trickier for Harvard to obtain licenses from the Office of Foreign Assets Control.

The new rules, says Lorena G. Barberia, an OIP program associate, “mean substantially less licenses.” In 2003, Barberia says, the U.S. government issued 181 licenses for study programs nationwide; in 2005, they offered fewer than 70.

Harvard’s new program features a rigorous application process. “Thirty applications were picked up on the first days,” says Barberia, but fewer than 20 students will be accepted. Compared to the other Latin-American study abroad programs that Harvard offers, the application puts more emphasis on Spanish skills and includes an interview.

But despite its unusual rigor, many students aren’t deterred by the lengthy application. Erika C. Helgen ’08 says that the language requirements are essential: “In some other Latin America countries, you can get by with not so great skills. No one’s going to speak English in Cuba.”

Although the applicants haven’t been accepted yet, a few are already planning out their time in Cuba.

“I’d really like to travel to Sierra Maestra,” says Daniel T. Littlejohn-Carrillo ’08. Others have already drawn up shopping lists. “Maybe a big Che [Guevara] poster,” says Haley R. Thun ’08, “but you can get that at Newbury Comics.”