You won’t find the usual Coop posters in these dorm rooms. Think fabric swatches and framed photographic prints instead.

Pimp My Dorm Room

Linoleum floors, white walls, and random posters pulled from roommates’ recycling bins may suffice for most students’ nine-month dorm stint.
By Sha Jin

Linoleum floors, white walls, and random posters pulled from roommates’ recycling bins may suffice for most students’ nine-month dorm stint. But there are some who rebel against college dorm norm. These students put their creativity to work and transform lifeless, Harvard-issued rooms into havens for the academic year.

WELCOME TO THE BATT-CAVE, SUPERHERO DESIGNER INCLUDED

A sheet of black and white print fabric from the Finnish design company Marimekko hangs on one wall, stretched across a handmade frame. Vases from BoConcept adorn the black shelves mounted against the wall, while a black papasan sits across from them. A pair of glazed wooden tables—the tops are cross-sections of some large tree—rests on a black carpet, exuding sculptural finesse. The orange linoleum flooring is invisible under a sheet of white vinyl. Lights installed on the ceiling shine through white fabric, casting a muted glow throughout the room.

Welcome to the Eliot dorm room of Roger C. Batt ’10. The streamlined black and white décor is a stunning contrast to the rainbow montage of magazine cut-outs and tinted pictures in the hallway. A sense of modern simplicity pervades the atmosphere.

Harvard’s standard issue bookshelf, desk, and bed frame are nowhere to be found. Instead, the heavy wooden desk has been replaced with a slim, steely silver work table. The standard bed frame has been put into storage. Batt has constructed a replacement frame that sits low to the ground.

“I built all the shelves from pieces of a TV console and got the rest from Dickson Brothers. I think they thought I was weird. I was there a lot,” he says. “I’d text my blockmates on Saturday morning and be like, ‘Can I start hammering now?’” Despite the inconvenience to his neighbors, Batt believes the final result was well worth the labor.

The black shelves, white floors, and muted lighting are impressive, as if pulled out of a page from some glossy interior design magazine.

“Wherever I’m at, the surroundings affect my state of mind,” Batt says. “I choose to make sure my room looks nice. I can’t help it—otherwise, I just can’t get stuff done.”

Room décor newbies will be glad to know that this room isn’t the result of some interior design whim. Batt has had experience. “My room last year had a similar vibe, so I had an idea of how I wanted it to be. I definitely had more freedom this year though.” A joint concentrator in Neurobiology and History of Art and Architecture, Batt is also considering career options in the design world. “The design aspect of architecture is what I’m more interested in,” he says.

“Most people think it’s just a dorm, but it doesn’t have to be. If you want to do something nice, go for it. It’s important to keep an open mind,” Batt says. “Try to keep it really simple, go with one or two color palettes, and get rid of all the clutter.”

WAIT, THIS IS LEVERETT TOWER? NOT TRUMP TOWER?

Stepping across the threshold of the Leverett room belonging to Baruch Shemtov ’09 is a different experience entirely. The soft brown leather chair, wooden screens, and warm lighting give the room, in Shemtov’s words, a feeling of “exotic zen.”

A hand-woven Turkish carpet hangs behind the bed while panels of patterned fabric replace the standard-issue drab Harvard shades. Two large photographic prints are mounted in silvery frames on the wall. An white orchid plant, stems blooming, rests by the window. A Louis Vuitton suitcase has been transformed into a coffee table. A pair of wooden screens rest against the wall. Shemtov added these screens to mask “prison-like” feel of Leverett’s singles.

“I feel that it’s nice to have a refuge and feel like this is home, not just a temporary dwelling,” Shemtov says. Some of the room’s elements come from IKEA and the Coop. Shemtov brought other key pieces, including the wooden screens and leather chair, from his home in New York City. “It’s the most comfortable chair ever,” Shemtov says.

As a self-proclaimed proponent of aesthetics, Shemtov has a history of decking out his rooms. His apartment in New York City is a sleek black and white creation. During his stay in Lionel freshman year, he used red brocade fabric, old prints from the 1700s, and even a chandelier to create an elaborate setting. “That was my over-the-top year,” he says.

While he has invested more than the average student would be willing to spend on dorm décor, Shemtov firmly believes that the clichéd Harvard dorm doesn’t have to be a cliché. With under $100, a complete overhaul is possible.

“Aesthetics are the foundation for the rest of year. They have such a strong effect on one’s goals, emotions, even motivation,” he says. “It’s easier to pursue your goals in aesthetically pleasing surroundings.”

In his spare time, this senior designs a critically-acclaimed line of ties. Like Batt, he’s also considering a future in the design world. “I may expand my brand in the future to include home décor items.”

What does Shemtov think are the most important aspects to change on a tight budget?

“Lighting is so important. It’s the worst part of Harvard housing. Everything looks unattractive in this harsh light.” Apart from lighting, Shemtov cites rugs and fabric—a cheap alternative for postering up all the walls—as the other necessary components for a dorm room upgrade.

“One, go to IKEA. Two, buy what’s on sale at IKEA. Warm up your room with a rug and troll your family’s storage,” he says. “And don’t buy dorm-focused things. The market is full of fluffy cute things for your room that will end up cluttering everything.”

So next time you’re at Target, remember to pass on the pink bean bag chairs.