Adams residents serenaded the crowd with songs...and lapdances.

Drag Night in Adams

Decked out in a black dress and long black wig, Omar M. Abdelsamad ’09 unleashed his alter ego—a tall woman
By Julia S Chen

Decked out in a black dress and long black wig, Omar M. Abdelsamad ’09 unleashed his alter ego—a tall woman named “Cookie.” Together with Ryan S. Nolan ’09 (aka “Candy”), the drag queens became the oh-so-yummy emcees of Adams House Drag Night. You go, girls.

In all its hilarity, Drag Night was founded on serious origins. Adams Social Co-Chair Sean P. Bala ’09 says that it stems from opposition to “a series of riots against homosexuality in the 1970s.” Known for its artistic flair, Adams responded with dresses and lipstick, and Drag Night has remained a “tradition of celebration” ever since, much to the delight and bewilderment of its residents.

Audience members consisted of rowdy vets eager to see friends test their balance on stilettos and newbie sophomores who wanted to satisfy their curiosity. Alethia Williams ’11 says, “There were so many random requests for strange clothes that I just had to see this in reality.” Calls for size-16 open-toed sandals and stilts on open lists apparently tend to draw attention.

Student performances ranged from a romantic duet of “A Whole New World” by a falsetto, flat-chested Jasmine (albeit, with impeccable makeup) and a shorter-than-average Aladdin, to a quasi-strip tease dance by the emcees and their friend “Chocolate” to the beat of “Discovery Channel.” One lucky audience member even received not one, but two lap dances from these lovely ladies before bolting out of the dining hall.

The Disney theme continued onto the closing act, as Adams House Masters John G. “Sean” Palfrey ’67 and Judith S. Palfrey ’67 waltzed as Beauty and the Beast, respectively.

Even dining hall manager David A. Seley became a juicy piece of meat as he showed off his assets to “My Humps.” Seley proclaims, “You can call me Davelicious for tonight.”