To  Zane, the earlier the merrier! Got a problem with that and she’ll put you on her personal naughty list...
To Zane, the earlier the merrier! Got a problem with that and she’ll put you on her personal naughty list...

Love it: Christmas Comes Early

Like it or not, the holiday season has officially arrived. While you may not be prepared for yet another Christmas
By H. Zane B. Wruble

Like it or not, the holiday season has officially arrived.

While you may not be prepared for yet another Christmas blitz, the two weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks are really just filler anyway. So you might as well grab a peppermint mocha twist, start untangling those lights, and make use of your restless pre-vacation energy. Clearly, any scrooge is just jealous that he still has to finish his thesis chapters.

The trick is to prioritize: I personally made the (in retrospect, probably poor) decision to skip my MCB 52 exam review in favor of decking the Quincy dhall for three hours. I may not completely understand exonucleases, but the tree looks pretty spiffy.

Christmas season is my favorite time of year. Every time Jingle Bell Rock comes over the radio in the dhall, I do a little dance inside (and sometimes on the outside). And what makes it especially special is that, secretly, I know you are too.

I mean it: I want everyone to join in my happy place filled with Christmas spirit. I don’t care if you’re Christian, Jewish, a celebrator of the often-neglected Kwanzaa, or anything in between, as the perpetuation of Christmas is NOT intended to convert anybody. When was the last time Buddy the Elf quoted the Bible? I can’t remember either.

If it’s arguing over whether to put white or colored lights on a friend’s tree, or planning a kick-ass Secret Santa gift, Christmas provides a prime bonding opportunity with friends and family, as well as an outlet for all that extra energy not spent on studying for midterms. Nothing gets the holiday message across better than the perfect $5 gag gift from CVS. And beautifying your sad white walls by covering them with paper snowflakes is a legitimate procrastination method. Ask anyone.

Besides, anxiously anticipating Santa coming down my chimney really tops off all those preparation efforts. Okay, maybe I just want to be five again.

But in all honesty, the magic of Christmas doesn’t have to die when you become a slave to the Harvard system. Embrace the warm and fuzzy feeling—you’ll need it when reading period rolls around.

—H. Zane B. Wruble