Menino Will Not Work for Harvard after Serving as Mayor

Boston mayor Thomas M. Menino received an honorary degree from Harvard in May 2013.
By Marco J. Barber Grossi and Sonali Y. Salgado, Crimson Staff Writers

UPDATED: October 22, 2013, at 9:57 p.m.

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino will not be accepting offers of employment from Harvard University after he leaves office, Menino spokesperson Dot Joyce told The Crimson on Tuesday.

On Tuesday morning, The Boston Herald reported a potential conflict-of-interest with Menino’s job offers from the University, taking issue with the recent approval of a multibillion dollar plan for Harvard redevelopment in Allston by a board of officials who Menino appointed.

“The Herald failed to report that the mayor is not going to Harvard,” said Joyce. “There is no conflict of interest, because the mayor has no intentionhe is not intending to go to Harvard.”

Responding to Joyce's comments, Richard Weir, the reporter covering the story for The Herald, said the Menino administration would not say on the record on Monday that Menino was planning to turn down the position.

According to Joyce, Menino had informed Harvard “recently” of his decision. Joyce said she could not recall the exact date on which Menino had given word to the University.

Lauren M. Marshall, a Harvard communications officer, wrote in an emailed statement that two of Harvard’s schools “were interested in having Mayor Menino pass on his insights and the lessons of his experience to students.” Tuesday’s Boston Globe reported that the Kennedy School and the School of Public Health had offered Menino positions.

At a forum on Monday, Menino told the audience that numerous academic institutions, including Harvard University, Boston University, Northeastern University, and Suffolk University, had offered him positions, according to The Boston Globe.

On Thursday night, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved Harvard’s 10-year, nine-project master plan for development in Allston. The plan includes renovations to Harvard Stadium, the construction of a new basketball arena, and the development of a new Business School building.

This master plan will be be carried out concomitantly with two other Harvard development projects: a residential and retail development at the intersection of North Harvard Street and Western Avenue and a $1 billion science complex that will house the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.

Citing health problems, Menino announced in March that he would not be running for reelection this November. Menino, 70, has occupied the mayor’s office for 20 years, making his tenure the longest in Boston’s history.

During his time in office, Menino had appeared at forums for both College and Kennedy School students.

But, Joyce said, Menino is now “looking at other opportunities.”

—Staff writer Marco J. Barber Grossi can be reached at mbarbergrossi@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @Marco_JBG.

—Staff writer Sonali Y. Salgado can be reached at sonali.salgado@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @SonaliSalgado16.

City PoliticsBostonFront FeatureMetroNews Front Feature