Jeremih to Headline Harvard Yardfest 2023

Jeremih will headline Harvard Yardfest 2023, one of the College's annual outdoor music events.
Jeremih will headline Harvard Yardfest 2023, one of the College's annual outdoor music events. By Julian J. Giordano
By J. Sellers Hill, Crimson Staff Writer

Hip hop and R&B singer, songwriter, and producer Jeremih will headline Yardfest 2023, one of Harvard College’s annual outdoor music events, the Harvard College Events Board announced on its Instagram Friday.

Also performing at the April 16 event are two student bands — Beacon Street and Weld 16 — and producer and DJ duo Coco & Breezy will open the event.

Jeremih is known for his commercial debut single “Birthday Sex” and other hits including “oui,” “Down on Me,” and “Don’t Tell ’Em,” for which he won the 2015 iHeartRadio Music Award for Hip Hop/R&B Song of the Year.

Past headliners of the Tercentenary Theater concert include Jessie J, Lil’ Yachty, and DJ Steve Aoki.

CEB Co-President Isha Agarwal ’24 said Jeremih had been CEB’s “first choice” this year, but she acknowledged that students are often quick to levy criticism.

“I was the director of arts and entertainment last year, so Swae Lee was kind of my pick, and it was definitely very disappointing, right after we released it, to go on platforms such as Sidechat and see everyone criticizing CEB or Swae Lee,” she said.

“We know that there are so many people who will also be happy when you get to actual Yardfest,” Agarwal added. “When we’re staffing it and we see thousands of people there having an amazing time, I think that makes it so much better and you feel really rewarded.”

Student group openers Beacon Street and Weld 16 were selected via CEB’s “Battle for Yardfest,” which saw 10 acts compete in a bid to perform at the widely attended event.

For students still critical, Agarwal pointed to the behind-the-scenes logistics required to bring the performance to life.

“This is the product of months and months of hard work from our Arts and Entertainment Committee and the rest of the CEB,” she said. “I think it’s gonna be a great time. I hope everyone has a good time as well, and hopefully less criticism comes after the actual show.”

—Staff writer J. Sellers Hill can be reached at sellers.hill@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @SellersHill.

CollegeMusicStudent LifeMusic GroupsYardfestFront FeatureFeatured Articles