84% of Admits Accept Spots in Harvard College Class of 2027

By Michelle N. Amponsah and Emma H. Haidar, Crimson Staff Writers

Roughly 84 percent of admitted students have accepted their place in the College’s Class of 2027, Harvard announced in a press release Friday.

The figure marks a slight uptick from last year’s yield rate of 83 percent, but lies just below the Class of 2025’s record-high yield of 85 percent. A total of 56,937 students applied to the Class of 2027, facing an acceptance rate of 3.41 percent.

Due to the high yield rate, “only a small number of students” will earn admission off the waiting list, according to the press release. The College also admitted 13 transfer students this year.

Asian Americans make up 29.8 percent of incoming freshmen, more than 2 percentage points higher than 2026. The record-setting figure comes as the Supreme Court is expected to rule this summer on a lawsuit brought by anti-affirmative action group Students for Fair Admissions, which alleged Harvard discriminates against Asian American applicants. Harvard has denied SFFA’s claims.

Black students make up 14.1 percent of the class, down from 14.4 percent of the incoming Class of 2026, while Latinx students also decreased to 11.1 percent of the class from 11.9 percent the year before. Native Americans and Native Hawaiians represent 2.3 percent of the incoming class, down from 3.6 percent last year.

Around 29.8 percent of incoming freshmen intend to concentrate within the social sciences and another 30.2 percent are interested in the natural sciences. Just over 16 percent of incoming students expressed interest in computer science and engineering, while 16.3 percent plan to concentrate in the humanities. The remaining students are undecided.

For the second year in a row, Harvard announced the expansion of its financial aid program, raising the threshold for zero-cost attendance to families making less than $85,000 per year. Last year, the threshold for zero-cost attendance was a family income of less than $75,000.

According to the press release, 68 percent of incoming freshmen applied for aid. Nearly 24 percent of the class comes from families earning under $85,000 annually, and 28.4 percent requested to waive application fees.

Those admitted to the Class of 2027 represent all 50 states and 102 countries. More than 15 percent of incoming freshmen hail from outside the United States.

Women and men make up 53 and 47 percent of the class, respectively, according to the press release. This continues a six-year trend of women comprising at least half of the incoming class.

—Staff writer Michelle N. Amponsah can be reached at michelle.amponsah@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @mnamponsah.

—Staff writer Emma H. Haidar can be reached at emma.haidar@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @HaidarEmma.

CollegeAdmissionsFront FeaturePrefroshFeatured Articles