Scoped!: William S. Murphy '13

Pottery Pro
Sebastian A Cruz

William S. Murphy '13 ponders ceramics, romance, and life at Harvard. He cheerfully reminisced about the past three years, while looking forward to what the future holds.

House: Quincy

Concentration: Human Evolutionary Biology

Hometown: Brookline, Mass.

Ideal date: A leisurely autumn bike ride to a Boston coffee shop

What you look for in a girl/guy: A healthy sense of whimsy

Where to find you on a Saturday night: Throwing pots in the Quincy House ceramics studio

Your best pickup line: “Heeeeeeeeey sexy lady!” Sixty percent of the time, it works. Sometimes.

Best or worst lie you’ve ever told: Yeah, it’s just like “The Social Network.”

Something you’ve always wanted to tell someone: Really good piece of advice: throw away all of your socks and buy 50 identical pairs.

Favorite childhood activity: Pokémon Blue for Game Boy Color

Sexiest physical trait: A nice, big brain

Best part about Harvard: My friends

Worst part about Harvard: Everyone else

Describe yourself in three words: Feisty. Succulent. Peach.

In 15 minutes you are: thinking of wittier answers

In 15 years you are: trying to reclaim the soul I lost to the corporate world. Kidding. Not kidding.

Recommended Articles

Norman Zhu
Norman Zhu
Welcome to Smogon University
I quickly learned that I really didn’t know anything about Pokémon. Have you ever tried to optimize your Pokémon’s EVs and base nature? Have you ever made sure your team had a good balance of walls, revengers, and offenders? What about defending against Rain Dance, Baton Pass, and Endeavor teams? I hadn’t either.
Becoming a Bird Nerd
Such outdoor experiences are typically seen as the antithesis of geekiness: it’s you versus nature, relying purely on your eyes and ears to take in as much as you can. You can’t ask Wikipedia what bird you just saw, and there’s no associated trading card game or comic book. But while I was on the trip, I couldn’t help but think of how all this identifying, classifying, and searching felt like one of my geekier hobbies. When my T.F. excitedly pointed out a rare bird, my first thought was, “My God, this is just like Pokémon!”
I Choose You!
There is always another confrontation with Gary on the horizon, always another convalescence with Nurse Joy. Even the music rarely changes—that maddening eight-bit music which once heard can never be forgotten. What is it, then, that made us so crazed—that made us whine, in the cacophonous voice of an entire generation: “Mommy, I’m in a battle and you are making me die!”
Rally for 250K: Preparation
Would You Rather: Office Hours with Gus and Sietse
No More Storage
Harvard Today: April 2, 2014