Ahmee Marshall-Christensen

lana del rey promo
Music

Hear Me Out: Lana Del Rey, "West Coast"

The dysfunctional relationships, bad boys, and air of sadness are probably all here to stay, but it does seem like Lana Del Rey is branching out technically.

G I R L cover
Music

"G I R L" Is Catchy And Confusing

Though Pharrell does not exactly dig himself a grave with “G I R L,” he certainly does not set a precedent for future greatness, either. His periodic instances of musical enticement are simply outweighed by general thematic confusion and fundamentally irreconcilable styles throughout the album.

Benji Album Cover
Music

“Benji” Takes A Haunting Trip Into The Macabre

The undeniable power of the macabre events recounted in “Benji,” along with the moments that push the boundaries of folk music, helps distinguish Kozelek’s newest work from both previous Sun Kil Moon albums and the music of many other contemporary artists in the genre.

Research

Embryonic Cells Differentiate Earlier Than Previously Thought, Researchers Say

The latest research conducted by Harvard Medical School researchers may revolutionize our current understanding of embryonic development. Specifically, a new study published last week in the journal Cell offers a new model to describe the way in which cells gain specific functions within the embryo.

Flyby Campus

Most Interesting Thing

Most Interesting Thing
Academics

Most Interesting Thing You've Learned?

Flyby asked, "What's the most interesting thing you've learned this year?"

On Campus

Hip-hop Greats Dig the Standards

Hip-hop giants 9th Wonder, Pete Rock, and DJ Premier were the centerpiece of the event, “Digging the Music of Hiphop: These are the standards,” last Wednesday, which was sponsored by the Hiphop Archive at Harvard.

On Campus

Meet Shea Rose, Eliot's Saturday Headliner

Tyga got you down? You're not alone. Eliot House is hosting an alternative to Yardfest, featuring a performance by the up-and-coming hip hop and soul artist Shea Rose. On Saturday, doors—or gates, rather—to the Eliot courtyard open at 6:30, and Rose goes on at 7:00.

Books

Mary Roach on "Gulp"

With topics ranging from the similarity of Cheetos and kibble to feeding babies peanut butter formed to look like feces, Mary Roach's talk hosted by The Harvard Book Store lacked boundaries just as her books do.

Music

Caveman Continues to Evolve

Though their first album, “CoCo Beware,”didn’t generate much buzz for the Brooklyn-based, five-piece rock group, it certainly seems that Caveman’s second, “Caveman,” does more than enough to bring them recognition, combining distant guitar riffs, smooth synths, bright vocals, and solid beats to create a complete sound.

On Campus

This "V-Day," Violence is Challenged

On March 14, women and men came together at the Graduate School of Education to present a series of monologues relating to violence against women. This event was only one of many that constitutes part of One Billion Rising's international V-Day initiative, which seeks to help end violence toward women through such events.

Music

Singles Roundup

New tracks from Jay Sean, Tate Stevens, and Surfer Blood. Surfer Blood's new single, "Demon Dance" is wildly successful, referencing hellhounds and Pentecostalism. Tate Stevens and Jay Sean, however, have given us tracks that are less than impressive.

Music

Powers Stumbles Trying to Break Out of the Bughouse

Youth Lagoon's sophomore album is compromised by over-experimentation. Wondrous Bughouse more readily embraces dissonance and distortion, which make it an album that is not always beholden to the conventions of synth-pop. However, the album does stumble on its more pointed deviations.

Music

Genuinely Strange

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds break new ground on "Push The Sky Away."

House Art Cover Wallpaper
Visual Arts

Art House

Youth Homelessness in the Square
Harvard Square

For Homeless Youth, Age Can Compound Challenges of Life on the Streets

On Year Later: Boston Marathon Bombings
Boston Marathon

VIDEO: Looking Back One Year Later, Harvard Affiliates Prepare to Return to Finish Line

Johnston Gate Arts Cover
Arts

Rebuilding the Past: Harvard's Beautification Renaissance