Warm-ups

Just stepped off the plane from Florida and it sure doesn't seem like the spring sports season is here. If
By Marc M. Sadowsky

Just stepped off the plane from Florida and it sure doesn't seem like the spring sports season is here. If this keeps up I'm going to be back there very soon. But for the meantime, I'm going to pretend that it is 85 degrees and I'm going to stroll around Cambridge covered with suntan oil.

And it's not just me who doubts spring is here. Many of Harvard's teams are not going to start their schedules for a while, presumably when it's warm. However, this doesn't mean that there won't be plenty of action for all you spring sports spectators.

By the way, there will be only cursory references to my thesis because I passed it in two weeks ago. For added luck I drove on Summa St. When I was in West Palm Beach.

Harvard's men's tennis team will open up its home season Friday afternoon when it entertains Navy at 2 p.m. The Midshipmen should prove to be feisty competitors because the entire Navy is agitated over President Carter's moves to cutback the fleet. This searing domestic issue should make the team especially aggressive.

The women's team will open its home season Tuesday at 3 p.m. When they take on Boston College. Both these matches will be played at the Palmer Dixon courts.

If it's crew you're looking for, the women's heavyweight and lightweight crews are both rowing against Boston University Saturday morning. The action begins at 8:30 when the frosh lights cruise, and continues through the frosh heavies at 9:10, the JV heavies at 9:50, the varsit heavies at 10:30 and the varsity lights at 11:30.

And speaking of the renowned laxwomen, they'll be opening their home season Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. against Penn. As usual, the game will be played at Soldiers Field. Formal attire required.

The big game in professional sports this weekend is the Celtics game on April 9. Attentive readers will remember that I mentioned this game several weeks ago because it is Boston's last game and, hence, John Havlicek's last game as a Celtic. Tickets are probably sold out, but I'll tell you what happened next week.

It's getting real late and they want this real short. So I will bid you adieu for now. I'll be back in this very spot next week, if you care. Until then,

Be there, Aloha.