Pfoho’s Photogenic Polar

This spring, when Pfoho-bound freshman, new approach Annenberg on that fateful Friday before Spring Break, they’ll not only find enthusiastic
By D.b. Doroshow

This spring, when Pfoho-bound freshman, new approach Annenberg on that fateful Friday before Spring Break, they’ll not only find enthusiastic house-mates convincing them that life in the Quad is great but also a brand-new mascot to welcome them: the Pforzheimer polar bear. The house has never had a mascot before, but after after several years of conversation about creating one, residents overwhelmingly voted to welcome the big white bear into their family.

Before the house took on it’s strangely-spelled moniker, allowing it to add the letters ‘pf’ to everything from ‘pfuck the river’ to ‘pfight for IM victory,’ the Quad residence was called North House. The masters’ interest in cold weather regions (hello Boston) and a collection of polar bear photographs combined with the fact that North house is...wait for it...the northern most residential house, gave the idea of a house mascot the push it needed to come under House Council consideration.

Other than welcoming new freshmen into the house, the polar bear will most likely make an appearance on House IM t-shirts, because they are “very photogenic and look good on black and red, which are our house colors,” commented Pfoho House Council president Teresa L. Bechtold.

The bear seems to fit the house’s personality well. As Bechtold commented, “When people talk about it, they’re very enthused. You can say a lot of things about a polar bear:a polar bear is adorable- it’s really, really cute. However, those suckers are fierce!”

For The Moment