No. 3: Profs and Administrators Love It, Too!

“The immense variety of people that make a difference.” ­—University President Lawrence H. Summers “Beats me. Maybe the docile student
By FM Staff

“The immense variety of people that make a difference.”

­—University President Lawrence H. Summers

“Beats me. Maybe the docile student press? Actually, I like the mixture of reverence and irreverence that exists here.”

—Dean of the College Benedict H. Gross ’71

“I love Harvard because everyone gets a chance to speak their mind, over and over and over and over again.”

—Associate Dean of the College Judith H. Kidd

“I love Harvard because every Saturday in the fall makes me feel like a kid again.”

—Head Football Coach Tim Murphy

“Everyone assumes you’re smart, even if you’re a bozo.”

—Frankfurter Professor of Law Alan M. Dershowitz

“Did you know EVERY tenured professor has a Harvard degree? If you don’t have one when you arrive, we GIVE you one: an Honorary Master’s Degree. These are given out at the first FAS Faculty meeting of the year. For many professors, it is the only faculty meeting they attend for a long, long time.”

—Clowes Professor of Science Robert P. Kirshner ’70

“I love Harvard because no matter how lost you feel in life, the development office will always find you.”

—IBM Professor of Government and Business Roger B. Porter

“Afro-Am—­that is the best thing about Harvard. And the next best thing is the students. And the third best thing is that Harvard is not located in New Haven, Connecticut.”

—Du Bois Professor of the Humanities Henry Louis “Skip” Gates Jr.

“Teaching at Harvard is great: Whenever I walk into an Ec 10 lecture, I know there are a couple dozen people in the room planning to be President of the United States.”

—Freed Professor of Economics N. Gregory Mankiw

“Because I love being invited to the professors’ night at the Lampoon, dancing on the table tops!”

—Harvard College Professor Marc D. Hauser