Shopping Week with Students Stylists

Does your Saturday night uniform consist of jeans and a t-shirt? Too bad. In a world of leather, fur, and
By FM Staff

Does your Saturday night uniform consist of jeans and a t-shirt? Too bad. In a world of leather, fur, and jeggings, you really have no excuse. Let some of Harvard’s most fashionable students show you the way to all things chic.

Meet the experts at our round table discussion.

Lucy W. Baird ’10, a social anthropology concentrator in Pforzheimer, is director of public relations for the Vestis Council. Her designs have been featured in a number of student fashion shows (and in the pages of FM).

When asked about his fashion credentials, Sokiente W. Dagogo-Jack ’10, an economics concentrator in Dunster, simply says, “I was born fresh.” We agree.

Heba el Habashy ’10, a government concentrator in Kirkland, is already leaving her mark on the fashion world. The Vestis Council comp director has worked at Dior in Paris, IMG models, and most recently at People’s Revolution under Kelly Cutrone—look out for her in the office where Whitney Port pretends to work on MTV’s The City.

Quincy House’s Cara M. Lonergan ’10 is the president of Vestis Council, has photographed for Eleganza, Freeze College Magazine, and The Harvard Voice as well as interned for designer Kara Ross.

Michael R. Polino ’11 is the DJ and set designer for Project East. The Lowell resident says he groomed his style growing up in the Baltimore club scene.

Fifteen Minutes (FM): Fill in the blank. White t-shirt and…

Baird: Red lipstick.

Dagogo-Jack: Canvas sneakers.

el Habashy: Leather pants.

Lonergan: Oversized. With skinny pants and pointy flats. It’s all about the silhouette.

FM: You returned to campus, unpacked all your clothes. What did you leave in storage?

Dagogo-Jack: Anything ever made by Ed Hardy.

el Habashy: Polyester leggings. Polyester in general. I don’t want to see it again.

Lonergan: Juicy Couture sweat suits. I just donated mine.

FM: The 80s are back. So, apparently, are the 40s. And Vogue said something about the color red? What are you buying this fall that’s on trend?

Baird: High-waisted skinny jeans. Very 1940s.

Lonergan: I’m looking for some chunky gold jewelry. I think it’s coming back.

Dagogo-Jack: I avoid trends.

FM: The weather in Cambridge sucks—rain, sleet, snow. What do you wear when the elements threaten to ruin your night?

el Habashy: I don’t care about this question.

Polino: One really cool thing you can wear when it’s shitty out. This year, it’s going to be a knee-length Issey Miyake jacket.

FM: Okay, let’s do some word associations. Leggings.

el Habashy: Ugh.

FM: Jeggings.

Lonergan: I don’t own a pair…yet.

FM: Scarf.

Dagogo-Jack: Why not. You got to tie it in the proper way. You got to leave it hanging sometimes.

FM: Can you ever rock a dorm t-shirt out, at night?

el Habashy: You can rock anything.

FM: Where do you get a quick fashion fix in the Square?

Baird: Second Time Around.

Dagogo-Jack: When I have an itch to spend money I like to go to J. Press and buy one of their watch bands. They’re pretty awesome.

el Habashy: Oona’s

Lonergan: The Tannery and Mint Julep.

Polino: J. Press.

FM: It’s a recession. Can you tell us how to shop our closet?

Dagogo-Jack: I’m a pack rat. I work in stuff from freshman year and high school if it still fits.

Lonergan: It’s all about accessories in a recession.

FM: Give us a fashion tip.

Baird: Dress to your body type. Know what shapes look good on your figure.

Dagogo-Jack: Alexander N. Olch ’99 told me it’s better to go to a hip store and find conservative clothing than go to a conservative store and find hip clothes. Look for a tweed blazer at Opening Ceremony. Don’t look for jeans at Brooks Brothers.

el Hebashy: Don’t take yourself seriously when you’re getting dressed. Fashion is supposed to be fun.

Lonergan: Better to be underdressed fabulously than overdressed.

Polino: I don’t do tips. I just roll…That’s not a tip.