Wanted: Roadies

What do you get by bringing together two aspiring doctors, an astrophysicist, a public servant, a religion expert and a ...
By Michelle B. Nguyen

What do you get by bringing together two aspiring doctors, an astrophysicist, a public servant, a religion expert and a stuffed dinosaur? The answer will rock your world. Literally. It all started in Eliot’s courtyard last May as a gesture to honor Lino Pertile and Anna Bensted, as the outgoing House Masters bid Domus farewell. Five guys came together, performed six songs, and regrouped this September to form Third Rail, Harvard’s latest musical sensation.

“Weren’t we just in the subway?” asked Isaac S. Shivvers ’10-’11, the “veteran” of the group, referring to the inspiration behind the band’s name. “The third rail powers all underground motion. You can’t touch it because it’s dangerous, but you need it,” explained Samuel R. Berman-Cooper ’12, the keyboardist with an impassioned voice

Indeed, Third Rail may be exactly what Harvard needs. From its Eliot courtyard origins, the band has made the rounds to various stein clubs and campus events. They’ve covered a wide array of popular artists, ranging from Coldplay to Juanes, and create a dancing crowd wherever it goes. Lead singer Barthalomew A. Sillah ’12, also a member of the Harvard Krokodiloes, stands out in his ability to tackle everything from Katy Perry to the raps of B.O.B. “Our objective is to bring live music back,” said Warren S. Loegering ’12, the resident “sex symbol” according to his bandmates.

“And world domination,” added Berman-Cooper. Lead guitarist M. Andres Camacho ’10 nodded his head in approval.

Julia Mitelman ’13, director of Harvard Student Agencies’ Talent Agency, plans to gradually introduce the band to other college campuses. Life beyond Harvard, though, is still a big question mark. “I’d like to keep on playing music for as long as I can,” said Shivvers, who plans to attend graduate school for astronomy.

“I’ll give music my best shot,” said Loegering. “If that doesn’t pan out, I’ll just join an old-man band, like my dad.”

Right now, however, only one thing is on their minds: recruiting roadies. “Roadies get an awesome show, free beers, and groupies,” explained Shivvers.

For The Moment