Making a Movement, Textbooks Aside

In Social Studies 98fu, students take matters into their own hands.
By Sherrie Wang

The tutorial, titled “Practicing Democracy: Leadership, Community, and Power,” mobilizes its students to create social change. Students identify an issue that they care about, define it as a project, and work to accomplish established goals by the end of the semester. Every week, through readings in sociology, political science, and social psychology, they learn about storytelling, organizing, and strategizing. But the bulk of their work is in executing their own project.

“It’s not just learning through reading and theory; it’s learning through practice,” said Tyler A. Brandon ’12, who is enrolled in the course.

This year, students are pursuing a wide variety of projects, concerning everything from climate change to AIDS funding to Harvard’s own final clubs. Brandon’s project, called “Munch & Move,” aims to incorporate a nutrition-related education curriculum into the Phillips Brooks House Association’s after-school programs. Emma Q. Wang ’12, another member of the class, is raising awareness and resources for Harvard’s LGBTQ community.

The unique format of the tutorial stems from the background of its professor, Marshall L. Ganz ’64. Ganz entered Harvard College in 1960, but left before graduating to get involved with the Civil Rights Movement and the United Farm Workers of America. Twenty-eight years later, he returned to Harvard to finish his degree and further his education. As a result of his extensive experience as an activist, “Practicing Democracy” is incredibly hands-on.

“Since leadership is a practice, you can’t teach it without doing it,” said Ganz. “It’s just like learning to ride a bike.”

And like learning to ride a bike, practicing leadership inevitably involves falling down and getting back up. Every week in section, students reflect on their projects and give each other constructive criticism.

“I think we’ve grown a lot,” said Brandon. “We’re able to reflect and evaluate ourselves halfway through.”

Wang feels empowered by the experience. “It’s unlike any other class at Harvard,” she said. “As human beings, we’re here to make an impact on the world rather than passively imbibe our textbooks. This is a chance to do something, to create, to shape the world that you’re in.”

For The Moment