Defending Radicals, Integrating Radcliffe

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

January 15, 1892: Harvard-Yale Debate.

The Harvard-Yale debate, on the subject "That a young man casting his first ballot in 1892 should vote for the nominees of the Democratic party," was held last night in Sanders theatre, before a very large and appreciative audience. Governor William E. Russell presided and introduced the speakers in turn. Each speaker spoke for fifteen minutes.

The debate was opened by R. D. Upton of Yale, who spoke on "The party of progress and modern ideas." Many things have been urged against the Democratic party, but it is essentially a party of reform, nominating Grover Cleveland, who become the head and consolidated that party, and won for it a glorious record. The Republican party, while it possessed great sentiments had also great unity, but when it lost them, it became broken. While the Republican party has became a party of selfish expedients, the Democratic party protects individual freedom. The Democratic party of today is a champion of peace, purity and reform. It stands for freedom and progression—a party which is, and not one which has been.

January 15, 1920: "Getting" The Harvard Radicals

The demand for the removal from office of Immigration Inspector Henry J. Skeffington is but a natural result of a steadily growing intolerable state of affairs. The government officials, the country at large, and the press seem possessed with a fear of a "red revolution," an impossible and entirely remote contingency in this country. Anything liberal, or to the slightest degree unconventional in political and industrial theory, is being branded as revolutionary. Doubtless in times of over-fast development there are very real dangers incurred by the idle patter of "parlor bolshevists." But in times of reaction from liberalism such as the present there are still greater dangers in applying the epithet "parlor bolshevist" to anyone who dares assert an independent opinion. If this nation and the whole world do not watch their step carefully, the next decade will usher in a period of suppression on such a scale that in comparison the age of Metternich will appear as a mad whirl of anarchy.

It is of moment that Mr. Skeffington claims he did not speak of the Liberal Club in particular, but that he merely said he would "like to get some of these Harvard radicals." The fact remains that he represents a point of view which cannot be allowed to prevail in the administration of our government unless we desire the rule of an intolerant aristocracy representing the ideas of only one class.

January 13, 1938: Harvard Vagabonds To Have Access to Radcliffe Soon

For the first time in history, Harvard men will be permitted to attend a class at Radcliffe, namely one of two new music courses beginning there after midyears.

Engaged last spring as visiting lecturer in music, Nadia Boulanger, French musician, will give two new courses, one of which, a graduate seminar in music competition, will be open to students from the brother institution, it was learned yesterday.

January 14, 1955: Lecturer 'Imperils Court,' Judge Says

Dr. Leona Baumgartner, a University Lecturer who doubles as a New York City Health Commissioner, was accused Tuesday by a Brooklyn magistrate of "helping to wreck the whole judicial system."

A Visiting Lecturer in Maternal and Child Health, Dr. Baumgartner had publicly criticized a $50 fine, levied on a careless landlord by Magistrate Milton Solomon. As a result, she was summoned to court to face a possible contempt charge. The landlord concerned was fined when a faulty gas heater he owned caused the death of a tenant. Dr. Baumgartner, terming the fine "wholly inadequate," was advised by magistrate Solomon to "apply herself to her own duties.

January 17, 1966: Harvard Scientists Attack Use of Chemical Weapons

Nineteen members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the Medical School faculty as well as ten other scientists from the Boston area have sent a statement to a number of high Administration officials condemning American use of chemical warfare in Vietnam.

The 29 scientists contended that since the use of chemical and biological weapons is directed against a country's civilian population "it does not serve our national interest, and is immoral." They defined chemical weapons as those toxic to men, animals, and plants.

Copies of the petition were sent to Vice President Humphrey, Secretary of State Rusk, and Secretary of Defense MacNamara.

They discounted U. S. attempts to justify the use of gas and herbicides in Vietnam on the grounds that they are not lethal.

—Compiled by Amy L. Weiss-Meyer and Julie M. Zauzmer

CrimeMusicPoliticsSciences DivisionRadcliffe InstituteScienceHistoryYaleGender and SexualityArchivesDemocratsRepublicansFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.