Tired of the Delphic? Try Club Fire and Ice

As Harvard students, we often find ourselves wandering the streets of Cambridge on Saturday nights bemoaning the lack of good ...
By CAROLINE P. DAVIS

As Harvard students, we often find ourselves wandering the streets of Cambridge on Saturday nights bemoaning the lack of good parties and wishing there was something else to do besides attend another kegger in Mather or a rager at the Delphic. But now, with local restaurant Fire and Ice opening a new nightclub, you’ll now have one more option.

The as-of-yet unnamed nightclub, set to open in March of 2010, will be located directly on top of the Church Street restaurant. With the addition of the nightclub, Fire and Ice will stay open past usual dinner hours, with a staircase leading down to the restaurant from the nightclub to serve hungry customers.

Plans for the nightclub have been in the works for over a year now, and manager of Fire and Ice John Eller, says he couldn’t be more excited: “I can’t wait, I think the opening of the nightclub will be great for Fire and Ice. It’s going to be a very laid-back scene, there will even be pool tables.”

Melina Collin, a Fire and Ice employee, hopes that the new nightclub will not only attract students from Harvard, but also teenagers from the surrounding Cambridge area­; the nightclub will be an 18+ venue.

Emma Doyle, a local resident and restaurant customer, agreed. “I love Fire and Ice,” she said. “And I think it’s great that they’re expanding and doing something for the younger crowd here in Cambridge.”

The question remains, will Harvard students take advantage of the new social space, or will they be deterred by the underage crowd and stir-fry atmosphere?

As a frequent patron of Fire and Ice, Paul R. Pate ’12, is thrilled to learn about the restaurant’s new plans. “It sounds pretty cool to me,” he says. “If there are pool tables, I’ll be there. I love pool.”

So if you find yourself bored once again on a Saturday night in March, check out the new nightclub, but make sure you go with an empty stomach.

For The Moment