Year in Review 2022

Harvard and the Fight for Foreign Collaboration

'An Open Secret’: Harvard Graduate Students Decry Harassment, Neglect from Faculty

In the wake of the Comaroff controversy, graduate students say power-based abuse by faculty pervades advising relations.

‘I Had to Speak’: Harvard Affiliates Decry War in Ukraine Amid Disappointment in University Response

Harvard affiliates with close ties to Ukraine or Russia were determined to support Ukraine following the February invasion by Russia. But their drive to speak out against the invasion has been coupled with growing disappointment in Harvard, which some students say has fallen short of its promises to support affected affiliates.

Unstandardized Admissions

Stakeholders throughout higher education — and Harvard itself — are split on the role that standardized tests like the SAT and GRE should play in admissions.

Title IX Turns 50

Decades after the landmark statute prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex was first enacted, affiliates say the work toward true gender equity remains unfinished.

A Harvard Without Affirmative Action?

Affirmative action has narrowly survived several Supreme Court scares before. But now, experts say the court — made up of six conservative and three liberal justices — is likely to overturn four decades of precedent allowing schools to consider race in their admissions processes. It remains less clear what might come next.

‘A Systemic Breakdown’: Pandemic Child Care Closures Leave Faculty, Grad Students, and Postdocs with Few Options

Student, postdoc, and faculty parents risk financial strain and career setbacks to participate in Harvard’s child care offerings, they say.

Cambridge’s Affordable Housing Waitlist is Over 20,000 Names Long. How Did the City Get Here?

According to the Community Development Department, in 2021, Cambridge contained about 57,500 homes. Of these, around 8,500, or about 15 percent, are considered income-restricted housing. And the waitlist for these affordable homes? More than 20,000 names long. How did Cambridge get here?

The People of Allston-Brighton

This piece profiles five residents from Allston and Brighton who are actively dealing with these challenges and envisioning a better future for their neighborhoods. They provide a snapshot of the character of Allston-Brighton, the lives of the people within it — and the way those lives are changing.

Life Post(grad) Pandemic

For the Classes of 2020 and 2021, leaving Harvard meant entering a pandemic-ridden post-grad world.