Costumes in the Square

Lazy and at a loss for a Halloween costume? Never fear! The costume you’ve always dreamed of can be found right here in the Square—you just need to know where to look. Luckily, FM has collected some hidden Halloween gems.
By Madison E. Gonzalez and Miranda L Ryshawy

1.     The Curious George Store

With its neon yellow and fire-engine red painted exteriors, this shop is impossible to miss on a stroll through the square. If you're like most people, though, you've only ever strolled past the doors without going inside. You should reconsider that decision if you’re dreaming of being the Man in the Yellow Hat™ for Halloween: They have hats, yellow suits, and Curious George™ monkeys with which to drunkenly cuddle after the costume parties.

2.     Brattle Square Florist

Thought you would never have need of the shop’s wide-ranging selection of flowers? Think again. Drape yourself in strands of ivy, weave a flower crown out of dainty pastel lilies, and glue bromeliad leaves to your skirt, et voila! You're Earth Goddess/Mother Nature incarnate. Alternatively, you could grab a couple Hawaiian leis and get “lei-d.”

3.     Urban Outfitters

You knew you could come here for a million giant sweaters and artfully ripped tights, but did you know that thanks to this store, you could also be the proud owner of a giant horse, dog, or unicorn mask? Grab two friends, and together you’ll be the trio of disembodied animal heads.

4.     Hidden Sweets

Let’s face it—in a shop so jam-packed with novelties, the costume possibilities are endless. Cover yourself in postcards printed with inspirational quotes, and dress up as a walking source of midterms motivation. Or buy an “It’s a Girl!” balloon, a baby doll, and a giant coffee mug, and call yourself a "new parent."

5.     Harvard Yard

Feeling lazy and low budget? You can find a costume without even setting a foot off campus. Snag a lanyard, a class of 2018 t-shirt, and a yellow LS1A backpack. Ta-da: you’re a freshman!

Around Town