February 10, 2022

Volume XXXIII, Issue I

Editor's Note

Dear reader, Tonight, we closed out the first issue of Volume XXXIII. We were equal parts excited and queasy leading up to writers’ meeting last Monday, but we needn’t have worried — it was a joy to see everyone again in the Sanctum, to watch our execs rise to the task of editing, and to read our writers’ wonderful stories! As we open a new chapter of FM, our pieces this week center around revivals and fresh starts while keeping one eye on the past. In our cover story, MX reports on the reopening of Harvard’s dining halls last fall and the HUDS employees who, caught in a storm of labor shortages and management missteps, are facing overwork and exhaustion. Meimei never fails to impress with her ambitious and compassionate reporting, and this piece is no exception. SSL interviewed three Harvard alumnae on a mission to rebrand the lowly cricket into an eco-conscious snack through their startup, Chirps Chips. AHL attended a Twitch crossword tournament and explored how word puzzle enthusiasts are adapting a pen-and-paper hobby to the digital age. BBWF uncovered the ugly (in many senses of the word) history of the Smith Campus Center and the efforts to conserve the sun-damaged Rothko murals that once hung from its walls. CY wrote about how an outpouring of support from loyal customers allowed the beloved Brattle Square Florist to stay open after nearly closing its doors. Nearby in the Square, JKW traced the evolution of the Conductor’s Building, former MBTA headquarters turned Chinese restaurant/tiki bar Wusong Road. The tale was so fascinating, in fact, we decided to check it out for ourselves! (The verdict: adorable panda bao, mediocre rice plates. My fortune cookie: Fate is here now, you decide.) SWF royally resurrected the Venn diagram genre with a comparison of electric scooters and Henry Tudor. The Vennaissance Period has begun. MNW, former FM Chair turned thesis-ing senior, hosted a podcast to shed new light on the women who made history — and have been written out of it — at Radcliffe and Harvard. Finally, in his endpaper, recently retired EAL SPM took a trip down memory lane before deciding to head down another path. They and the rest of the 148s will be dearly missed. It’s an honor to inherit this magazine from you all, and we hope we’ll make you proud. Thank you to PCZ, AGW, and our wonderful photographers, as well as MHS, SS, MH, and everyone on Design, whose talents bring color and life to our pages (and to our spreadsheet). And big hugs to my co-chair MVE, whose clarity and kindness kept us grounded during a hectic first week — I think we're in for quite a year. With love, SSL & MVE