Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

THE COBDEN CLUB MEDAL.

The Cobden Club, of England, offer a silver medal, under the auspices of the Harvard Finance Club, to any present undergraduate of Harvard College for the best essay on some economic subject.

For the year 1883-84, the following subjects are suggested:

1. What should be the financial policy of the United States in view of the existing surplus of revenue?

2. The effect of a custom-tariff on wages.

3. The effect of our public land system on the national growth.

A candidate may present an essay on an economic subject other than here mentioned, provided he send in such subject to the secretary of the Finance Club for approval by the committee of award.

The essays must be deposited with the secretary of the Finance Club on or before May 1st, 1884. The title-page must, with an assumed name, state of what class the writer is a member. A sealed letter must be sent in at the same time, under cover with the essay, containing the true name of the writer, and superscribed with his assumed name.

The essays must be written upon letter paper, of the quarto size, with a margin of not less than one inch at the top and bottom, and on each side. The sheets on which the essays are written must be securely stitched together.

The essays must not exceed in length the amount of twenty-five pages of the North American Review.

The author of the successful essay is invited to read it in public at a time and place to be designated by the executive committee of the Finance Club.

Judges.-Prof. Charles F. Dunbar, Prof. J. Laurence Laughlin, and Hon. Hamilton A. Hill.

T. L. FROTHINGHAM, Secy.