The History of Class Day.

The custom of the delivery of a valedictory oration and poem distinct from the commencement exercises, began in 1811. For many years, however, the day was called Valedictory Day, and it was not until 1838 that the modern Class Day properly originated. The custom previous to 1838 was for the senior class to meet in the morning in one of the south rooms in University, and listen to a religious service conducted by their own chaplain (a member of the class). They then marched in procession to the president's (Wadsworth) house, and escorted him to the chapel (Holden) where were prayers, oration, poem, and class ode, as now. The class supper was usually the same night, at some hotel in Boston. Class Day was the last day of the term. The vacation of six weeks commenced at once, and Commencement came immediately after vacation. There had gradually grown up, however, by the side of Valedictory Day a new custom of dancing around the Liberty Tree, (the present class tree). As soon as dinner was over, all the undergraduates began to assemble around the tree and in the back rooms of Hollis and Stoughton. The seniors provided punch in a barrel, and brandy and water in pails, which were placed at the foot of the tree, and were steadily replenished all the afternoon, mugs ad libitum being provided for all comers. There were singing, dancing, speaking intermingled with unlimited drinking. Not the slightest attempt was made to control or repress this. It was simply a brutal, howling orgies. There was little attempt at fun, no kind of system or traditional order, nothing but steady drinking and the resulting drunkenness.

When the class of '38 graduated a new order of exercises was inaugurated. As soon as the morning programme was ended, the class committee placed a band in front of Stoughton, and as soon as the fair maidens could finish their ice cream and lemonade they were surprised by being invited to go down and dance about the tree. The band which had been practicing Fair Harvard (two years old) started up, also surprised, and began a series of quadrilles and waltzes, which they continued until dark. Toward evening, the seniors for the first time gathered about the old tree and began a wild quadrille of their own, in which they were soon joined by the whole college, the maidens looking on and applauding. Just as the sun was setting, the graduating class formed in line and passed around the yard, cheering the buildings in order.

Thus arose the modern Class Day. The class of '39 enlarged the idea. The grass was cut for dancing, a platform was erected behind Stoughton, and a regular band of stringed instruments engaged. In consequence of the new arrangement, the custom of giving "spreads" originated, and the writer has before him a note, yellow with age, dated 1839, which runs as follows:

Try and get the loan of a room in Holworthy for the afternoon. It would be nice to have some room where you could take the girls to see the fun. I will bring Sadie and Hattie, Jim says he can get Nellie to come. The old folks may not be able to stand it out.