A Letter from Professor James.

CAMBRIDGE, June 14, 1891.

To the Editors of the Daily Crimson:

DEAR SIRS-I am, as many of your readers know, engaged on the so-called Census of Hallucinations, of which the results must be communicated in the summer of 1892 to the International Congress of Experimental Psychology, which then meets in England. The object of the Census is to find what proportion of persons in the community have seen a vision, heard a voice, or felt a touch when no one was physically present to account for the phenomenon. Incidentally a large amount of material for the comparative study of hallucinations and apparitions is swept in. I have now the answers "yes" or "no" from upwards of 5,000 persons, and accounts of 700 or 800 positive experiences; but I much wish to increase this material.

So many students, about to "scatter" towards their several abiding places for the summer, could give me priceless help. I have prepared blanks for 25 names, with directions and precautions for collecting, and will furnish them to any one who will send me a post-card with his address and the word "hallucination-blank" written on it. I make an earnest appeal to the good will of all your readers to help me in this easy and entertaining bit of investigation. Truly yours,

WM. JAMES, 95 Irving St.