Les Fourberies de Scapin.

Professor de Sumichrast lectured yesterday afternoon in Sever on the play which the Cercle Francais is to produce next week: one performance to be on Monday in Boston and a second on Wednesday in Cambridge. Briefly the lecture was as follows:

Les Fourberies de Scapin, by Molicre, is a play well adapted for young actors, though several of the parts are difficult. The play abounds in vivacity, and is full of amusing situations. The scene is laid in Naples, for the reason, perhaps, that striking adventures and extraordinary circumstances seem more plausible when they take place in a foreign country. The Play is Molieere's version of the Phormio of Terence. The main features of the old comedy have been retained, but more life and movement have been added. Moliere's play also has far more of the modern ideas and situations than Phormio. The characters and the plot are as follows: Argante and Geronte are two old men. Octave and Leandre are two young fellows; Octave is the son of Argante and Leandre of Geronte. Zerbinette and Hyacinthe are two young girls. The first was captured when very little by gypsies and brought up by them as one of their own children. Hyacinthe is the daughter of Geronte. Octave is in love with Hyacinthe, and Leandre with Zerbinette. Scapin, the chief character in the play, is the servant of Leandre, and Sylvestre is the servant of Octave. Nerine is Hyacinthe's old nurse.

In the absence of Argante, his son Octave marries Hyacinthe, without his father's knowledge. Geronte is also away, and Leandre is anxious to marry Zerbinette before his father's return, but is prevented by his poverty. Both the young men are in need of money. They call Scapin to their assistance, and beg him to procure money from their respective fathers. Scapin readily consents, as he is fond of tricks and hates the miserly ways of Geronte. With the aid of Sylvestre, he so scares old Argante that he gladly hands over the desired amount.

Scapin then sees Geronte, and tells him that a Turk has captured his son, and carried him away in a ship, and that he demanded a large ransom for his release. The old man after some delay, gives him the money. Not satisfied with this he tells Geronte that his life is in danger from brigands, and induces him to enter a sack for protection Scapin then imitates the noises of brigands and gives the old man a sound drubbing. The money is given to the young men and Leandre is enabled to marry. The two young men then meet their fathers; Zerbinette is discovered to be the daughter of Argante, and Geronte becomes reconciled to his son's marriage. Scapin pretends that he is dying and so obtains forgiveness from the boys' fathers, and the play is brought to a happy close.