'Varsity Colors at Oxford.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Your leading article this morning with regard to the misappropriation of the 'varsity sweater states a real problem in our athletic management, and one that is likely to increase as our sports expand. The problem has, however, been long settled in England; and a glance at the method now in vogue at Oxford, for instance, will suggest, I think, a fitting remedy.

A "committee of blues" regulates the granting of the 'varsity uniform in each particular instance. This committee is composed of the leading 'varsity captains,- the presidents of the boat club and athletic club and the captains of the cricket club and of the Rugby and Association football teams. They usually award a "full blue" to the members of the five teams they represent; and in addition to the chief representative in court tennis and rackets. On the athletic team, however, the "second strings" get only a "half blue." This differs from a "full blue" in that the sweater has no blue trimming on the neck and sleeves and is without the emblem of the club on the breast, while the blazer and cap are striped with white. Members of the cross country team, the bicycle team, the (field) hockey team and perhaps some others are all awarded half blues which differ slightly in each case. Members of such minor organizations as the golf club, the shooting club, the swimming club, and so forth, wear special colors, not the university blue. The etiquette with regard to all these colors-and in fact all club colors-is strict, and in consequence the most famous "blue" is proud to wear his insignia. At Harvard the 'varsity blazer was long ago relegated in consequence of vulgar misappropriation, the red sweater is following it, and now the letter H has started on the downward path. The English system is of course frankly aristocratic, but it does insure to an athlete whatever formal distinction his college regards as fitting.

JOHN CORBIN '92.