Changes in Courses for 1902-1903

The announcement of courses of instruction for 1902-'03 offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will be published the first part of next week, probably on Monday. It includes four hundred and fifty-three courses and half-courses, exclusive of summer, seminary and research courses. A large number of new courses of importance are offered especially in the departments of the classics, of philosophy, of physics and of chemistry. Owing to the absence of some of the professors several courses are omitted. Following are the additions and changes of interest.

Next year there will be an entirely new department to be called the History of Religions in which are grouped together some new courses with a number that have already been established in the various departments. A full course on "History in Outline" by Professor G. F. Moore is of most importance. Besides this, there are to be eight courses dealing with the history of particular religions included in this department.

Owing to the absence of Professor Smith, there are to be several changes in the Classical department. Eighteen courses not given this year are offered, most of which are new; a few have been given in the past. Professor C. D. Buck of the University of Chicago will give Classical Philology 70 and 71, an introduction to Indo-European philology, and a study of Greek and Latin grammar; Professor H. E. Burton of Dartmouth will give Classical Philology 72, Topography of Rome; and 46, and historical study of Livy; Professor Goodwin will give Classical Philology 27 and 66 two courses on Aristotle and Aeschylus; Mr. Harris will give Greek 17, on the Greek drama with studies of its influence in art and literature; Dr. Chase will give Greek 5 a new full course on the elements of modern Greek; Professor Warren will give a new course on Classical Philology 68, on the comedies of Plautus; Professor H. W. Smyth will give a new full course on the Greek epigram; and Professor C. H. Moore will give Classical Philology 29 on Greek religion, which was given four years ago.

In the absence of Professor Palmer the first half-year, and Professor Royce the second half-year, courses 4 and 5 in philosophy will be omitted; course 9 will be given in the first half-year only; and course 20d in the second half-year only. The new courses are: 16, on ethical ideals of the nineteenth century by Dr. Miller; 17, on the history of Christian thought since Kant, by Professor E. C. Moore; 14a, on comparative psychology by Mr. Yerkes; 10a, the philosophy of history by Assistant Professor Santayana; 72, history of English ethics by Professor Palmer.

In the department of Physics, course B is made a full course. Six new half-courses are offered. These courses will treat of the subjects of electricity, light, and heat. The new instructors are Mr. H. W. Morse, Dr. T. Lyman '97, and Dr. Ayres.

Chemistry B has been permanently discontinued, but four new courses are offered: "Industrial Chemistry," by Professor Sanger; "Photochemistry" a half-course by Dr. Baxter; an additional half-course on electrochemistry, and a full course in advanced physical chemistry by Dr. Lewis.

Professor Baker will resume his duties in the English department next year. In the absence of Professor Wendell, course 12 will not be given but 5a will be open to such students as would be received in 12. Professor Briggs' release from his duties as Dean of Harvard College will enable him to offer course 16 on history and principles of English versification which he has been obliged to suspend for some years.

In comparative literature a new half-course on the theory of poetry in England and Germany during the nineteenth century will be given by assistant Professor Gates.

It is expected that Professor Taussig will conduct his courses in economics next year. The subject mater of course 8 has been divided into three parts: 8a. on money by Dr. Andrew; 8b on banking by Dr. Sprague; and 12a on international trade and payments by Dr. Sprague. A new half-course has been added on the history and theory of Commercial crises by Dr. Andrew. Courses 10 and 11 which were formerly given by Professor Ashley as full courses in alternateyears will both be given in 1902-03 as half-courses by Mr. Gay. Course 5 on railways etc. will be given as a half-course. Economics 14 on methods of Social reform will be made a full course; 9 and 9a are combined into a full course on labor and industrial organization and will be given by Professor Ripley who has recently been appointed a full professor in the department.

In the department of History, Professor Haskins, now of the University of Wisconsin, who has lately been appointed a full professor will give History 3. He will also give two new courses on the history of mediaeval institutions and on the introduction to sources of medieval history. The other new course are a half-course on Prussia in the reign of Frederick the Great by Dr. Fay and on the Spanish history to the death of Philip II, a half-course by Mr. Merriman. In the absence of Professor Hart, Professor Channing will give History 13. Course 6 is extended to include the general church history to the end of the seventeenth century.

In government, course 12 is omitted owing to the absence of Professor Hart, but two new half-courses are provided, one on the administration of the government of the United States by Hon. C. S. Hamlin, the other on tendencies of American legislation by Mr. F. J. Stimson '76.

Professor H. C. White of Cornell will give two new courses in German, one on Goethe's and Schiller's minor poems, the other on the life and writings of Richard Wagner.

Professor de Sumichrast, who is now travelling abroad will resume his courses in French next year. The course of special study which has been conducted by Professor Bocher, who has recently resigned, will not be given.

In the geological department, a new course on Climatology is offered and will be given by Professor Ward. Geology 4 will run only through the first half-year; Geology 5 only through the second. Course 11 on paleontology is substituted for 14a, and will be open to those who have passed in 4 and 5 and Zoology 1.

Professor Lyon will resume his duties in the Scientific department and in the absence of Professor Toy, Dr. Haynes will continue to teach, giving a new half-course in rapid reading in Hebrew.

In the Architectural department, Professor Warren will give two new courses, an advanced course in architectural design, the other on research in architecture. Course 7 on the theory of design will be made a full course and a new optional course in drawing from lite will be conducted by Mr. H. D. Murphy.

Three new courses are offered in education: the development of schools and school systems in America by Professor Hanus: the Education of the Individual by Mr. A. O. Morton: the methods of a teacher in French by Mr. Snow of the Boston English High School.

In mathematics, a new half-course on descriptive geometry will be given by Dr. Bouton; an advanced course on the theory of functions and a course in the theory of differential equations by assistant professor M. Bocher, who also offers a course in research.

Professor Kenelly of Philadelphia who has recently been elected a professor of Engineering will conduct two new half-courses, one electric transmission and distribution of power, the other on telegraphy and telephony.

In archaeology, a new half-course on the ethnology of Polynesia and Australia will be given by Dr. Dixon.

In the department of Botany two new full courses are included one on the classification of flowering plants by Mr. Fernald; the other a course of research in taxonomy of phanerogams by Professor Robinson.