Record of the Shell "Harvard."

The bow of the six-oared shell "Harvard," which the University recently received from the estate of Roger Clifford Watson '69, has been mounted on an oak panel and hung on the north wall of the main reading room in the Union.

The "Harvard" was used by the University crews of '58, '59 and '60, in the first of which President Eliot '53, at that time a tutor in Harvard College, rowed at four, and Professor A. Agassiz '55, at bow. She was the first six-oared shell built in America, and differed from the racing shell of today only in being shorter, wider and higher out of the water, and having more simple rigging.

The complete list of the races won in the "Harvard" is as follows:

June 19, 1858--Second Beacon Cup Regatta, over a three-mile course on the Charles River. The order of the winning crew was as follows: Stroke, B. W. Crowninshield '58; 5, C. Crowninshield '60; 4, C. W. Eliot '53; 3, J. H. Ellison '59; 2, R. B. Gelston '58; bow, A. Agassiz '55. There was no coxswain. Time, 19m., 22s.

July 5, 1858--Charles River Regatta, over a six-mile course. The crew of the "Harvard" was the same as in the Beacon Cup race, except that J. H. Wales '61 took the place of R. B. Gelston '58. Time, 40m., 25s.

June 22, 1859--Third Beacon Cup Regatta.

July 26, 1859--First actual intercollegiate regatta between Harvard, Yale and Brown, over a course of three miles on Lake Quinsigamond at Worcester. The race was won by Harvard, with Yale second and Brown third. Time, 19m., 18s.

June 25, 1860--Citizens' Regatta over a two-mile course at South Boston. Time, 12m., 38s.

July 4, 1860--The Boston City Regatta over a three-mile course. Time, 18m., 53 1-2s.

July 24, 1860--Second intercollegiate regatta on Lake Quinsigamond won by Harvard with Yale second and Brown third. Time, 18m., '53s.

After this regatta the "Harvard" was not used again by the University crew, but was used on several occasions by class crews. The only defeat she suffered between 1857 and 1861 was on the three-mile course on Lake Quinsigamond at the Worcester Citizens' Regatta, July 27, 1859, when she was defeated by two seconds by the Yale six-oared shell.