FRENCH REVOLUTION LECTURE

First of a Series by Professor Sumichrast on "Paris in the Reign of Terror."

Professor F. C. de Sumichrast of the French department, will give this evening at 8 o'clock in the Fogg Lecture Room the first of four lectures, illustrated by stereopticon views, on "Paris During the Reign of Terror."

The subject for the lecture tonight will be "The Seats of the Government." It will describe the various buildings occupied by the national and municipal government during the Reign of Terror, some of which no longer exist; and will relate the story of the great clubs and sections.

The remaining three lectures of the series will be as follows:

February 17.--"The Republican Festivals."

February 19.--"The Prisons."

February 24.--"The Peregrinations of the Guillotine."

The second lecture, on "The Republican Festivals," will describe the painful condition of the people during the Reign of Terror, and the great festivals which were arranged to divert their attention.

The subject of the third lecture will be "The Prisons." The chief prisons of the old government were the Conciergerie and the Force. During the Revolution the number of prisons increased to over forty. The lecture will describe the chief of these, including the Temple, which became the abode of the royal family after it had been handed over by the Assembly to the Commune.

The final lecture of the series, on "The Guillotine," will describe the origin of the guillotine, the various sites upon which it was erected, the method of execution, and the sites of the various burial grounds which were set apart for the condemned.

The lectures will be open to the public.