Hockey Team Defeated Springfield.

In a one-sided game yesterday afternoon the University hockey team defeated the Springfield Training School on the Stadium rink by a score of 18 to 0. At the end of the first half the score stood 16 to 0, but in the second half the Training School's defense improved greatly and allowed Harvard to score only two goals.

The University team began the game aggressively and shot their goals in rapid succession. Because of the failure of the Training School team to cover their opponents, the University forwards were able to advance the puck almost at will, and only the quickness of the Springfield point and goal prevented a larger score. In stick work the University forwards maintained their recent improvement, Townsend, especially, showing considerable ability in following and in keeping possession of the puck. In following back after losing the puck, however, the men were slow, and Callaway was the only forward at all effective in this respect.

In the second half the Training School's defense materially strengthened, and owing to this improvement and to the inexcusably loose playing of the University team, only two more goals were scored. Frequently the University forwards would carry the puck down the ice only to lose it through careless stick work and listless passing in front of their opponents' goal.

The summary: HARVARD.  TRAINING SCHOOL. Pell, Foster, l.e.  r.e., Hill Townsend, l.c.  r.c., Ricketts, Prettyman Callaway, r.c.  l.c., Dawson Wilder, Wagstaff, r.e.  l.e., Gray Newhall, c.p.  c.p., Martin Grant, p.  p., Metzdorf Tilden, g.  g., Seller

Score--Harvard, 18; Springfield Training School, 0. Goals--Townsend 8. Callaway 4, Wilder 4, Pell 2. Referee--First half: Prettyman, of Springfield; second half: Ricketts, of Springfield. Goal umpires--D. Wagstaff '05 and H. Foster '07. Timekeeper--J. McMaster. Time--20-minute halves.