RESTRICTED ENTERTAINMENTS.

There is a rule of the Faculty Committee on Entertainments providing that advertisements for a College entertainment may be displayed in shop windows only, and must be confined to small placards modestly printed in red and black ink.

It is not for us to inquire into the wisdom of such an ordinance, based as it must be upon a knowledge of what is best for the student body. We do not wonder even that the restriction includes the color of the ink. That the minds of a public liable to excitement should be inflamed by the announcement of a concert, or of a debate, on a placard printed in colors other than red and black, would be an offence against order. It is doubtless unwise that there should be any person in the audience of a College entertainment who is not a friend of one of the performers. The prescribed method of advertising of course limits the audience to such persons, and is presumably salutary.

We can only say that this rule places each College organization which may give an entertainment in the position of a man who cannot swim and is pushed out beyond his depth and advised not to drown. These organizations are told not to advertise--that is, not to use advertisements which may be seen--and yet to be sure not to get into debt.