CARLISLE WON FAST GAME

Harvard Still Slow and Crude.--Indians' Remarkable Open Game.

Harvard suffered its first defeat of the year at the hands of the Carlisle Indian eleven last Saturday, the score being 23 to 15. The University eleven was outplayed, and did not play the ever-ready, quick game that the Indians did. Their playing was too crude to win, and, compared to the Indians, the team as a whole was woefully undeveloped. The speed of the Indian backs and the manner with which they handled the forward pass made Harvard seem slow and crude in comparison. Carlisle had the science of interference down to perfection and their blocking off of Bird and Macdonald time and again was one cause of their frequent long runs around the ends.

Harvard's main weakness lay in their inability to tackle hard and effectively, and in their lack of a suitable defense for the Indians' forward pass and criss-cross, double-pass plays, which were worked repeatedly for long gains. Both teams suffered severely from penalties, and in one instance Harvard lost half the distance to the goal line, amounting to 30 yards, when Peirce was put out of the game by Umpire Edwards for charging into two Indians who were pulling Starr toward his own goal after the ball had been downed.

The game was replete with sensational runs, forward passes and onside kicks, and all the touchdowns were made as a direct result of one or more of these open plays. The longest run was of 75 yards by Mt. Pleasant, the Carlisle quarterback. His interference opened up a lane through the midst of the Harvard team and through this he ran for a touchdown. Throughout the game his playing was remarkable. His generalship was excellent and in the backfield he ran back punts and kickoffs for long gains. His all around work stamps him as one of the best quarterbacks in the country.

Grant, at centre, played by far the best game of any member of the University team. He was the first man down under punts and was the most reliable tackler. Furthermore, he was usually the first Harvard man to solve the Indians trick plays. The great fault of the University backs and ends was in being drawn in on end plays and passes. The team was excellently handled by Newhall, at quarterback, and except for one costly fumble, he covered his backfield position well. As a whole, the team played a good offensive game against the stubborn defense of the Indians; but on the defense, except for snatches of brilliant playing by individuals, there was much room for improvement.

The Game, Play by Play.

Burr opened the game by kicking off to Hauser who ran back to the 22-yard line. A fumble gave Harvard the ball for one play, after which Carlisle recovered on another fumble. They then rushed it to the 33-yard line, but were penalized 15 yards for holding. Newhall fumbled Mr. Pleasant's punt on the 50-yard line and from there the Indians carried the ball straight down the field. Payne made a 5-yard gain around right end and after two more short gains, Mt. Pleasant passed forward. The ball was fumbled, but recovered on Harvard's 25-yard mark. Another forward pass followed to Exendine, who was downed on the 4-yard line. Hauser made a touchdown through guard in the next play, and Mt. Pleasant kicked the goal.

Burr kicked off over the goal line, but Mt. Pleasant chose to run the ball out and he reached the 27-yard line before being downed. Four plays carried the ball to Carlisle's 50-yard line, from where a penalty set them back 20 yards. Hendricks gained 15 yards, and after an exchange of punts, Carlisle was again penalized. A five-yard gain was followed by a 10-yard loss and then Mt. Pleasant punted to Newhall, who ran back to Carlisle's 45-yard line. An onside kick was recovered by Grant almost on the goal line and Apollonio was pushed over for a touchdown in the next play, Parker kicking the goal. Score, 6 to 6.

Hauser's kickoff went over the goal line and Burr punted out to Hendricks, who ran to Harvard's 47-yard line. A failure to gain was followed by a forward pass which hit the ground. After the resulting penalty, punts were exchanged, and the Indians had the ball on their 50-yard line. Payne gained 10 yards and Mt. Pleasant passed forward to Gardner. After Grant had spoiled an end play, Hauser tried for a field goal but failed.

After Burr's punt-out, the Indians rushed the ball down the field for their second touchdown. Mt. Pleasant ran the punt back 18 yards, and Hendricks and Payne followed with runs of 15 yards each. Lubo then caught a forward pass on the 1-yard line and ran the ball over for the touchdown. Mt. Pleasant kicked the goal, making the score, Harvard, 6; Carlisle, 12.

Mt. Pleasant punted soon after Burr's kickoff and then the ball was lost to Carlisle on their 8-yard line on a forward pass. Newhall heeled Mt. Pleasant's punt and Parker kicked a beautiful place goal from the 40-yard line. Score, Harvard, 10; Carlisle 12.

Hauser's kickoff was run back 20-yards by Lockwood. Rand lost four yards on a tandem play, and Burr punted, Bird downing Mt. Pleasant in his tracks. Carlisle punted to Newhall, who was tackled on Harvard's 40-yard line when time was called.

The Second Half.

Burr returned Hauser's kickoff with a punt, but the Indians were ready for it and the ball went to Mt. Pleasant. After two plays which netted no gain, Mt. Pleasant punted to Newhall who fum-