OPENING OF LANGDELL HALL

New Law School Building Ready for Occupancy Next Week.

Langdell Hall, the new Law School building, will be ready for occupancy next week. It will be several weeks before the books can be removed from the present library in Austin Hall to the commodious quarters on the second floor of the new building, but the three lecture rooms down stairs will be in use next week when the School opens. It is intended to have the main library and reading room in the new building, while the duplicate books will be kept in Austin Hall.

Reference books pertaining to the first and third year courses will be placed in the new building; and the second year library will occupy the Austin Hall reading room. This will eventually tend to concentrate the interests of the different classes in one place, besides affording more commodious quarters.

The new building is of buff Bedford limestone and classic in design. The facade, facing towards the east, consists of a row of large Ionic columns, between which is a light wall fitted with large windows to light the reading room. The central portion will contain the library with the reading room on the second floor and the lecture rooms on the ground floor. As in Austin Hall, the lecture rooms are arranged in the form of amphitheaters, with curved rows of seats rising in tiers from the lecturer's desk. The interior will be fire proof throughout and will be finished in quartered oak. There will be easy communication with the old building by means of an underground corridor.

Eventually, a wing will be built on the north end of the building, similar to the present south wing, thus completing the symmetry of the design.