DEATH OF OWEN WISTER '82

Famous Man of Letters Died Yesterday.--Was Member of Crimson Board.

Owen Wister '82, one of the best known graduates of the University in the field of letters, died in Cleveland, O., yesterday at the age of fifty-one years.

Owen Wister prepared for College at St. Paul's School in Concord, and was graduated from Harvard in 1882. Immediately after his graduation he went abroad with the idea of studying for a musical career, but ill health caused his return to this country, and after two years of life on the western plains, he entered the Harvard Law School in 1885. From this he was graduated in 1888 with the degrees of LL.B. and A.M. While in College he was a member of both the CRIMSON and Lampoon boards.

The spell of the West, however, was too powerful for him, and instead of settling down as a lawyer in Philadelphia as he had intended, he spent most of his time in Wyoming and Arizona; and in 1891 took up literary work as a profession. In 1896 he published the first book which brought him notice, "Red Men and White," a collection of short stories of the West, and from that time until his death he steadily continued to write.

The book on which his fame chiefly rests is "The Virginian," a novel of western cowboy life published in 1902. Among his other works the best known are "Lin McLean," "Lady Baltimore," and "Philosophy 4," a short story of Harvard life.