Bowdoin Prize Essays Announced

The following are the awards of Bowdoin Prizes for graduates: three prizes of $200 each to Emory Leon Chaffee 4G., of Somerville, for a dissertation entitled "A New Method of Impact Excitation of Undamped Electric Oscillations and their Analysis by Means of Braun Tube Oscillographs"; Sergius Morgulis 2G., of Balta, Russia, for a dissertation entitled "Inanition: Experiments and Reflections"; Albert Richard Chandler 2G., of Norwich, Conn., for a dissertation entitled "The Tragic Appeal of the Dramas of Sophocles."

The following are the awards for the Bowdoin Prizes for dissertations in English for undergraduates: first prize of $250, Roscoe Russell Hess '11, of Seattle, Wash., on "The Paper Industry and Its Relation to the Conservation and the Tariff"; second prizes of $100 each, John Austin Spaulding '12, of Tewksbury Centre, on "A Comparison of Goethe's 'Iphigenie auf Tauris' and Euripides' 'Iphigenia among the Taurians'"; Hiram Kelly Moderwell '13, of Fort Wayne, Ind., on "A Modern Attitude towards Art." Thirty-seven of the dissertations submitted were recommended to be considered in the awards of scholarships and degrees with distinction.