PRINCETON WON HOCKEY GAME

BRILLIANT PLAYING BY BAKER RESULTS IN VICTORY FOR VISITORS. SCORE, 3 TO 2.

Before a crowd that taxed the Arena to its capacity Saturday night the Princeton hockey team retrieved its defeat of a week and a half ago by beating the University seven, 3 to 2, in a hard-fought contest. As was expected, Baker, the Princeton rover, was the star of the game and his dashes down the rink easily put him on a par with Ross and Taylor, the two Canadian professionals who played here last winter. The visitors were far from a one-man team however, and Baker was excellently supported by Kay, Kuhn and McKinney. Kalbfleisch was the mainstay of their defence and his work during the last ten minutes, when six Harvard men were striving desperately to shoot the puck by him, was little short of marvelous.

Huntington and Blackall were the bright spots on the Harvard team the former following back well and spoiling many of Baker's opportunities for shots, while the latter was conspicuous in his sprints down the ice, one of which made the second score possible. Gardner at goal proved himself the equal of Kalbfleisch, and the three shots he missed were practically impossible to stop. The outer defence, Blackall and Willetts, did excellent work in breaking up Princeton's attack and were of material aid in feeding the puck to the forwards. The same fault may be found with the offence that has been found with the offence that has been found wanting all season--it lacks that knack of snapping in rebounds that was so noticeable last year. It must be remembered in this connection, however, that Saturday's opponents played an exceptionally strong defensive game, in which Baker's remarkable speed in following back was a large factor.

Although the game started slowly, it developed rapidly into one where excitement and suspense reigned supreme, and the closing moments of the contest, when Harvard had every man but the goal tender in Princeton's territory driving the puck towards the opposing cage, were extremely thrilling and had the audience on its feet most of the time. When one of Duncan's shots hit Kay's skate and just missed going into the net it looked for an instant as though an extra period would be necessary. Although the game was hard-fought and the body-checking severe, there was the best of feeling between the players, and the victory was well-earned.

How the Scores Were Made.

Huntington made the first score of the game after a pretty bit of team-work in which Pierce was the other participant. Having stopped a shot in the middle of the ring Huntington passed immediately to Pierce who returned the pass just. In time to escape Blair, and allow Huntington to drive the puck home. Within three minutes of this Princeton had caged its first two goals and completed the scoring for the half. The first was the result of a concerted dash down the ice in which the puck passed from Kuhn to McKinney to Baker who made the shot; the second was shot from scrimmage by Kuhn. It is interesting to note that in this half Gardner had seventeen stops to his opponent's five, while in the last period Kalbfleisch led in stops with eleven to Gardner's nine.

After about six minutes of play in the second half McKinney passed out from the corner to Baker who made Princeton's third and last tally. The speed increased from this time on and after half the period had elapsed Duncan caged the puck on a pass from Blackall for the final score of the game. Then Harvard's desperate onslaught against the Princeton goal began, but was of no avail.

There were four penalties of two minutes each, during the game--Huntington and McKinney for back-checking, Emmons for tripping, and Duncan for loafing offside. Harvard made the only substitutions, Reeves and later Morgan going in at right end, and Palmer replacing Sortwell at the other end of the line.

The summary:

HARVARD.  PRINCETON.Sortwell, Palmer, l.e.  r.e., KayDuncan, l.c.  r.c., BakerHuntington, r.c.  l.c., KuhnPierce, Reeves, Morgan, r.e.  l.e., McKinneyBlackall, c.p.  c.p., EmmonsWilletts, p.  p., BlairGardner, g.  g., Kalbfleisc