HISTORY OF DRAMATIC CLUB

Great Strides Have Been Made in Seven Years of Its Existence.

The beginning of the year 1915 brings to a close the seventh year of the University Dramatic Club which culminated so successfully in its first New York performance last month. Looking back over the years since the foundation of the club we can find a development extraordinary in its rapidity and highly important in its effect upon college dramatics. In response to a widespread interest in the drama at the University, the Harvard Dramatic Club was formed in the spring of 1908. What distinguished it from similar college organizations was the intention to present not well-tried plays already given, but the original work of undergraduates and recent graduates of the University. In short, although coming after most college dramatic associations, the club at once took an advanced and unique position among them, as an encouragement both to the technical and interpretative side of the stage, and in the actual play-writing.

"The Promised Land" First Play.

"The Promised Land" by A. Davis '07 which was acted in the fall of 1908 was the first venture of the newly-formed organization: Although a large and difficult production, the success of the play at once advanced the club to the position of leader in University dramatic affairs.

For the spring of 1909, four one-act plays were staged: "Death and the Dicers," by F. Schenck '09; "Five in the Morning," and "The Horse Thieves" by H. Hagedorn '07 and "The Heart of the Irishman," by L. Hatch '05.

After such achievements the Dramatic Club was given the opportunity of at- tempting something more ambitious. The Graduate Advisory Committee, consisting of Professor George Pierce Baker '87, Winthrop Ames '95, then Director of the New Theatre, and H. T. Parker '89, dramatic critic of the Transcript, selected "The Scarecrow" by Percy MacKaye '97. This play was presented with much distinction in the fall of 1909 and instantly increased the prestige of the club, securing its reputation as "a dramatic organization of unusual versatility and notable accomplishment."

Again the spring production consisted of four one-act pieces: "The Better Way," by P. Mariett '11; "Marvellous Benthem," by H. Hagedorn '07; "The New Age," by D. Carb '09; and "The Higher Good," by T. H. Guild '04, were selected, all of which were successful.

In the fall of 1910 "The Progress of Mrs. Alexander," by Miss Louise Rogers Stanwood, Radcliffe '12, was acted. This was the first play by a Radcliffe student acted by the club. Most of the feminine parts were played by members of the Idler Club of Radcliffe.

Activities Since 1910.

Then followed a period of successful activity during which time many excellent plays were produced. Among them may be mentioned "Manacles," by H. K. Moderwell '12, "The Scales and the Sword," by F. Bishop '08, "The Night Riders," by Edwin Carty Ranck '13, at that time a special student, "Alaric Jourdan's House," by R. M. Townsend '96, "Kid," by Elmer Caroline Ehrlich, Radcliffe Sp., and "The Foundlings," by Annie Andros Hawley, also a special student at Radcliffe. The stage settings for "The Night Riders" were markedly realistic and the whole atmosphere of the play was a faithful reproduction of life in Kentucky. All of the other plays were up to the standard of the club.

In the fall of 1912 "The Voice of the People," by D. Carb '09, was given as the ninth production. The success of this play brought up for serious consideration the proposal of a New York performance, but the plan was finally abandoned.

In the spring of 1913 three notable short plays were produced. These were "The Wedding Dress," by Katherine McDowell Rice, Radcliffe Sp., "Ygraine of the Hill-Folk" by Robert Emmons Rogers '09 and "Good News," by J. F. Ballard '12, later a winner of the John Craig Prize and at present a member of the Graduate Advisory Committee of the club. Contrary to the usual custom the Cambridge performances of the plays were given in the Hasty Pudding Club Theatre through the courtesy of the club.

Last year the fall production consisted of two plays, "The Three Strangers," an adaptation of Thomas Hardy's story, by L. Hatch '05, and "Let's Get Married," a comedy by E. L. Beach '13. In the first of these plays the stage-settings, designed by I. Pichel '14, now stage manager at the Castle Square Theatre, were so remarkably done as to bring forth highly favorable comment from the most careful Boston critics. "Let's Get Married," the longer of the two plays, was awarded the Dramatic Club Prize presented by J. K. Hodges '14, president of the club.

In the spring three one-act plays, "The Bank Account" by H. F. Brock sC., "The Fourflushers," by Cleves Kinkead and "The Clod," by E. L. Beach '13, Kinkead, author of "The Fourflush won the Craig Prize this year with play entitled "Common Clay," recently acted at the Castle Square Theatre, most noteworthy of the three plays probably "The Clod," the parts in which were extremely well taken.

The success of the Dramatic Club's production this fall is well known. The New York performances during the Christmas recess were very favorably received, served as a fitting culmination of years' development