YALE DOWNED IN FIRST GAME

BRILLIANT INDIVIDUAL PLAY OF WYLDE AND PHILLIPS WAS FEATURE.

The University hockey team succeeded in winning the first game of the Yale series by the score of 4 to 2 in the Arena last Saturday evening. The victory was due entirely to the sensational work of two men, Phillips and Wylde, the former scoring three goals almost unaided, and the latter knocking down seemingly impossible shots at the net time and again. On the whole, the University team was outplayed during the greater part of the game. The forwards, particularly the wings, were unable to penetrate Yale's defense, and the majority of the play was in Harvard's territory. The Yale forwards were speedier and more aggressive, with the exception of Phillips.

Yale was the first to score when Dickey drove the puck past Wylde on a long shot from the side after 7 minutes and 7 seconds of play. Shortly afterwards, however, Doty--who was substituting for Morgan on account of the latter's injured eye--astonished the rooters by dashing the length of the rink and scoring unaided. Time, 8 minutes, 25 seconds. Harvard went into the lead when Phillips by an exhibition of clever stick-work shoved the disc past York from directly in front of the goal, time, 15 minutes. Murray evened up the score however, just 56 seconds later on a clean drive from the left side and the half ended with the score 2 all.

Curtis and Baldwin took the wing positions for Harvard in the second period and showed more fight and aggressive- ness than had Wanamaker and Cunningham. Yale sent five men into the line and started a desperate assault on Wylde. The latter was more than a match for his opponents, however, and went through the second period without an error. Phillips scored the first goal of the half after 10 minutes and 11 seconds of play by dashing the length of the rink, eluding Yale's outer defense, and driving the rubber past York waist-high. Just before the game ended the same player tallied again on an individual rush.

The summary:

UNIVERSITY.  YALE.Cunningham, l.w.  r.w., MacDonaldTownsend, l.c.  r.c., DickeyPhillips, r.c.  l.c., SweeneyWanamaker, r.w.  l.w., MurrayClaflin, c.p.  c.p., BierwirthDoty, p.  p., HeronWylde, g.  g., Yor