University Players Put Up Usual Strong Defence.--Forwards Showed Little Team-Work.

Although playing ragged hockey from start to finish, the University hockey team defeated the Cornell seven 2 to 0 at the Arena last evening. The visitors showed that they had been handicapped by lack of practice, but seemed to promise better for later in the season. The stickwork of the University team was wretched and the inability of the forwards to receive passes cost them innumerable chances to score. W. Morgan was the only man to play a wing position with any effectiveness, and the entire line showed a tendency to play out of position, so that whenever an opportunity to score presented itself, there was usually no one ready to take advantage of it. On the other hand, the line men played a good defensive game, and the Cornell forwards were effectively boxed whenever they got the puck into Harvard territory.

Captain Babbitt was easily the strongest man on the Ithacan line, his speed and stickwork being responsible for the majority of the seven shots that Wylde was called upon to stop. J. Harding and Spiegelberg also showed to advantage.

Captain Morgan and Doty played a sterling defensive game, and Doty again demonstrated his ability on the offence, his clever following of the puck being responsible for Harvard's second goal. Morgan made several spectacular dashes down the rink and on one occasion was only prevented from scoring by Myers' brilliant stop. Curtis was far below the form he exhibited on Saturday night, although his playing was fairly effective.

The game opened rather slowly, as Cornell seemed to have some difficulty with the ice. With the exception of Babbitt their handling of the puck was notably poor, although in speed they were about equal to the University. After three minutes of play Curtis got clear, but passed short to Baldwin, who was unable to score. Shortly after Baldwin caged the puck from the wing, but because of an offside the score was not allowed. The play was for the most part in Cornell's territory during this half, but Harvard was unable to tally, although many excellent chances were given. J. Morgan took the puck the entire length of the rink only to be blocked by Myers. Toward the end of the period the play was marred by frequent forwards and offsides. Cornell tried to force the playing and Hunter, after dribbling the puck from the middle of the rink, eluded the defence and attempted a wing shot that was perfectly handled by Wylde. W. Morgan missed a chance to tally by holding his shot too long and the half ended with the score 0 to 0.

After the rest the game speeded up considerably, the University forcing the playing throughout the period. Thacher got the puck past Myers on a forward but the score was not allowed. Shortly after Babbitt had an excellent chance to score, but his shot went wide. After 10 minutes, 40 seconds of play. Curtis received a pass from Rice, who had gone in for W. Morgan, and with a low, clean shot scored the first goal of the game. Cornell now had her last opportunity to score. With J. Morgan far up the rink and Doty at the side, Spiegelberg apparently had a perfect chance, but Curtis came from behind and spoiled his shot. An instant later Doty and Baker managed to work the puck in front of the Ithacans' goal and Doty shoved it in from scrimmage. For the remainder of the game Cornell tried desperately to score, but never seriously threatened the Harvard goal.

Had the University taken advantage of all its opportunities the score might well have equalled last year's 8 to 1 victory, although Cornell has a stronger team this year.

Tomorrow afternoon Cornell will meet the M. I. T. seven in the Arena at 1.15.

The Summary:HARVARD.  CORNELL.W. Morgan, l.w.  r.w., SpiegelbergBaldwin, l.c.  r., BabbittCurtis, r.c.  c., J. HardingThacher, r.w.  l.w., W. HardingDoty, c.p.  c.p., HunterJ. Morgan, p.  p., HillWylde, g.  g., Myer