OUTDOOR DRILL FOR COMPANY G

Crossed Bridge and Went Through Manual of Arms Near Newell.

For the first time since the Regiment was organized the privates who have been drilling weekly in the Baseball Cage yesterday marched and drilled in the open air. Company G assembled in front of Persis Smith Hall, where the rifles are stored, at 2 o'clock and after a little preliminary practice with arms marched four abreast down Boylston street, over Anderson Bridge and up Charles River Speedway, halting near the Newell Boathouse. Here, under the supervision of Lieutenant Edwards, U.S.A., the company went through the manual of arms.

Company G went outdoors yesterday because drill with arms is not permitted on the floor of Hemenway Gymnasium, where the Thursday afternoon drill of the company is regularly held. The basement of Smith Halls, the only other indoor drill-floor available at the time, is too small to accommodate an entire company.

As soon as the weather permits all the companies of the Regiment will drill outdoors. Beginning next week, it is probable that each company will drill on open ground twice a week, except when the roads are too muddy to make this feasible.