SEVEN VICTORIOUS OVER YALE BY 4 TO 1 SCORE ELIS OUTCLASSED IN EVERY BRANCH OF GAME

MANY SUBSTITUTIONS MADE

The University hockey seven under the leadership of Captain R. E. Gross '19, brought about an auspicious resumption of formal sports with Yale, on Saturday evening, when they defeated the Blue team at the Brooklyn Ice Palace by the score of 4 to 1. From the first minute of play until the final whistle the superiority of the Crimson septet was very evident.

The first score was made in the fourth minute of play by F. McN. Bacon '21 on a long low shot from mid-rink which passed the Blue outer defence and slipped between Poindexter's skates for a goal. Three minutes later T. M. Avery '21 added a second tally for the University when the puck, on a pretty shot from Bacon, carromed off his stick into the net. At this juncture, Ingalls, the Yale captain, was penalized two minutes for tripping. He had returned to the game, however, when H. K. White, Jr., '19, after rushing the puck up the Ice, from his defensive position, passed to Avery who scored his second goal two minutes before the end of the half.

Captain Ingalls' skate was now found to be broken and he left the ice for the remainder of the half accompanied by Avery who was opposing him. The period ended with the University leading by a 3 to 0 score.

Again in the second half the Crimson team forced the play from the start with the result that Avery scored a third time within a minute of the face-off. Both captains then made many substitutions, and while these fresh players were coming on to the ice Ingalls scored for Yale on a pretty back hand shot from a melee in front of the University goal.

Avery, who scored three of the four goals for the team, was ably supported in all his attacks by E. L. Bigelow '21, Bacon, and Gross. In the defense J. Holmes '21 showed goal-tending ability fully equal to that of former University net men and, under the able covering of N. S. Walker '20 and White, effected many extremely difficult stops. The summary:

HARVARD.  YALE.Gross, Bright, r.w.  l.w., Walton, FosterBigelow, Buntin, r.c.  l.c., CarsonAvery, Cabot, l.c.  r.c., IngallsBacon, Snelling, l.w.  r.w., Sargent, WilliamsWhite, Clark, Church, c.p.  c.p., Wilson, WellesWalker, p.  p., SmithHolmes, g.  g., Poindexter, Newto