VICTORY AT PASADENA

With the entrance of the New Year Harvard achieved a victory, the memory of which will long endure. The triumph of the University eleven at Pasadena with its attendant difficulties of travel and training proved the true value of intersectional sport, and showed to a thoroughly interested nation not only that the East is still a match for all-comers in athletics but also that, no matter how widely scattered after the graduation, the sons Eastern colleges are still bound together in sympathy. Congratulations, to the Crimson team for their hard earned victory over Oregon University can not repay them entirely for the sacrifices which they made in order to carry out that trip to its successful conclusion. The satisfaction of winning so thrilling a match and the full realization of what their efforts have done for American sport are their lasting rewards.

Harvard was not the first to send an athletic representation across the continent for the encouragement of intersectional athletics. But she does hold the honor of being the first to prove that a college eleven can make such a trip, and, with a reasonably short training period, play a winning game against a skilful and determined opponent. The value of such an exposition is great. It has ever been the aim of Americans to further the broadening of national thought by breaking down the barriers of provincialism. The New Year's Day game proved conclusively the solidifying effect that intercollegiate athletics have had in the past upon the members of colleges situated on either coast of the continent. Behind the Harvard team stood the hearty support of all her Eastern rivals. Forgetting their personal ambitions they rallied and stood as one in wishing the eleven well in their conflict with the common opponent-the West.

The same condition prevailed among the college men of the Pacific Coast in backing their representative team.

It was indeed a remarkable demonstration of the strength of intercollegiate athletics as a "tie that binds." But this is not enough. If athletics carried on between colleges of one section of the country can do so much to further a feeling of unity at the call of conflict, why allow the work of cohesion to stop at that point? It now remains for other colleges to come forward in a united effort towards the furthering of intersectional athletics, in order that the nation, in its love of healthy rivalry, may reap the great reward of greater national sympathy and understanding in times of stress.

To the athletic authorities and University officials and graduates who saw the true value of the Pasadena trip and made it a possibility great thanks are due. They have laid the foundation of a new road to nationalism. To Captain Murray and his victorious team-mates the thanks of the University can never adequately be expressed. Victory came, as did the tie with Princeton and the defeat of Yale, from the ability of the team to stand firm in a crisis and to put over a final irresistible drive when their opponents thought them exhausted. Harvard is proud to call them her own.