10 TO 1 VICTORY OVER TIGERS GIVES CRIMSON CLEAR RIGHT TO INTERCOLLEGIATE ICE TITLE

TEAM PLAY AGAIN TRIUMPHS

Rising to greater heights in the scoring column that any Crimson seven of the past ever reached in a Princeton game, the University hockey team closed its season and clinched the Intercollegiate ice title on Saturday evening, when it trounced the Tiger septet 10 to 1 in the large Philadelphia Ice Palace. Harvard's supremacy in every department of the game was very apparent throughout the three periods, and as a result Maxwell, the Princeton goal tend suffered a heavy and continued bombardment, while the Crimson net was very rarely in danger. No penalties were incurred in the contest.

E. L. Bigelow '21 led in the scoring for the University with three goals to his credit, while the other lineman and Captain N. S. Walker, Jr. '20, of the outer defence divided the remaining tallies rather evenly. The passing of the wing men was beautifully timed throughout the game and their following back was excellent, leaving their opponents but little opportunity to shoot. Walker played easily the most brilliant game of his hockey career until, in the second period, his nose was broken by an opponent's stick and he was forced to leave the ice. Bell starred for Princeton by scoring their lone goal, and Haight, the Tiger captain, showed ability to carry the puck but was for the most part unsupported.

Bigelow Breaks the Ice

Bigelow opened the scoring less than a minute after the start of the game on a neat angle shot to the far corner of the net. This tally was quickly followed by two more made from directly in front of the net by F. McN. Bacon '21 and C. W. Baker '21, who swung in from their wings.

Thus far the Orange and Black had been demoralized, but the hopes of their supporters rose as Bell-with a slashing swing, took a rebound from J. Holmes '21 and drove it caroming from his pads into the net. The Princeton rally was short lived, however, and before the teams left the ice for the initial intermission H. B. Snelling '21 and Bigelow each sent the disc past Maxwell; the former on a long low shot from centre ice, and the latter with a short snap shot after an individual dash down the rink.

Brilliant Play in Second Period.

The second period opened with a rush on the part of the Crimson team and the brilliant passing and accurate shots of the forwards netted three goals within as many minutes. Bigelow swerved between the backs for the first of these; Walker slipped the second in after a pretty dash from mid rink; and Snelling brought his total to two goals on another bounding shot from a scrimmage before the Tiger net. At this point D. Angier '22 and J. Martin '22 replaced Bacon and Baker on the wings, while T. M. Avery '21 took Snelling's place in the line. Captain Walker secured the puck behind his own goal and, after a beautiful dash on a long slant down the rink, eluded the outer defence and shot as he swung in toward the goal, sending the disc to the high corner of the net as Maxwell jumped to meet him. A moment later he left the game with his nose broken, and J. Gaston '21 took his place while W. J. Louderback, Jr. '20 went to the net in place of Holmes.

The septet which took the ice for the third period was identical with the original line-up save for Captain Walker's absence. Scarcely had the play begun, however, before Baker flicked the puck past Maxwell for Harvard's tenth score and the substitutes once more were sent into the game. Several good changes for tallies failed as line men evaded the Princeton backs only to find themselves behind the net before getting in a shot. The final score was 10 to 1.

The summary:

HARVARD  PRINCETONBaker, Martin, r.w.,  l.w., Terry, RaleighBigelow, r.c.  l.c., CorcoranSnelling; Avery, l.c.  r.c., KnoxBacon, Angier, l.w.  r.w., Ehret (Tallman)Stabbs, c.p.  c.p., BellWalker, Gaston, p.  p., HaightHolmes, Lounderback, g.  g., Maxwel