ARENA BECOMES LOCAL WINTER SPORTS "MECCA"

SEVEN HOCKEY DATES SETTLED

The new Boston Arena, which was officially opened last Saturday night, will be this winter the center of athletic interest in Boston, and of intercollegiate hockey in New England. The following hockey games have been definitely scheduled to take place on the rink:

January 7--M. I. T. vs. King's College.

January 8--Harvard vs. King's College.

January 10--B. A. A. vs. St. Nicholas.

January 18--Radcliffe College Skating Carnival.

January 22--Harvard vs. Dartmouth.

January 27--Princeton vs. Harvard.

February 5--B. A. A. Games.

February 19--Princeton vs. Yale.

February 26--Harvard vs. Yale.

In addition, a number of other events have been tentatively arranged. These include a six-day bicycle race, in which will be seen many of the recent winners at the Madison Square Garden race, and the Boston horse show, both to take place some time in the early spring.

A Marvel of Construction

Experts who have examined the new Arena recently declared that it is the most skillfully designed building of its kind ever constructed. Besides offering the best ice surface in New England, the Arena can be adapted to many other uses, as it is possible to substitute a board floor for the rink in four hours, and to freeze a new ice surface in a very short time. This fact is made possible by the use of two large ice machines, one weighing 410 tons and the other 90 tons.

To provide this ice surface, which is 200 feet long by 90 feet wide, over eleven miles of pipe are used. Five thousand people can be accommodated at athletic games or other events which require the use of the rink or the track, and eighty-five hundred can attend political meetings for boxing matches. The running track is of standard with and measures ten laps to the mile. It is expected that these facilities for boxing bouts and track meets, especially the annual B. A. A. games, will be welcomed, as the seating arrangements at Paul Revere Hall have never proved satisfactory.

Building is Fire-Proof

The building itself, which is constructed almost entirely of concrete in order to prevent a repetition of the fire which destroyed the old Arena several years ago, covers 87,000 square feet of land. The Ice Palace can be rented for private skating parties, carnivals or other ice skating activities. Three public skating sessions will be held daily except on days of scheduled events, from 9.30 until 12 A. M., from 2 until 5 and 8 until 11 P. M. Skates, as well as lockers, may be rented at the Arena.