EMINENT SCHOLAR AND WELL-KNOWN PROFESSOR DEAD

Best Known as Writer on Composition and Literature--Courses Always Popular

Barrett Wendell '77, professor of English at the University for thirty-seven years, and known throughout America and Europe as scholar and teacher, died at six o'clock yesterday morning at his home, 358 Marlborough street, Boston. He had been ill for several weeks with anaemia. He was in his 66th year.

Professor Wendell retired from active teaching in 1917, and since then had held the title of professor emeritus. Last June he was elected an Overseer of the University by vote of the alumni.

He was born in Boston on August 23, 1855, the son of Jacob and Mary Bertoldi (Barrett) Wendell, was graduated from the University in 1877, being a classmate of President Lowell, and began his teaching career at the University in 1880. For eight years he held the title of instructor. In 1888 he was promotd to an assistant professorship and ten years later became full professor, in which position he served for 19 years.

Taught "Comp. Lit. 1"

He became known to thousands of Harvard men as a stimulating teacher of composition and literature, and his large course in comparative literature known as "Comp. Lit. 1," which followed the current of literary expression from the days of the Greek dramatists and philosophers up to modern times was always popular. He was an cminent scholar of American literature and a pioneer in the development of modern instruction in English composition, the methods of teaching which he originated having been adopted to a greater or less degree in colleges all over the country.

During the year 1904-05 he lectured at the Sorbonne and other French universities, publishing shortly afterward a volume on the "France of Today." In 1920 Strassburg University bestowed on him the degree of LL.D., and Columbia and the University had both previously awarded him the honorary degree of Litt.D., Columbia in 1913 and Harvard in 1918.

Among his numerous book are two novels written while he was an instructor at the University, several works on English literature and composition including a "History of Literature in America," in which Professor C. N. Greenough '98 collaborated, and a number of books on politics and education.

Professor Wendell is survived by his wife and four children.

The funeral will be held at 12 o'clock on Thursday at Trinity Church, Boston.