THE GLEE CLUB IN FRANCE

If only because of its extent, the Glee Club's European trip is unusual. Several athletic teams from Harvard have crossed the Atlantic, and the football team has travelled to the Pacific Coast, but these journeys dwindle beside the mileage contemplated by the Glee Club. Much more unusual, however, is the fact that it is undertaking this tour on the official invitation of the French Government, something unique in the history of Harvard, if not of any American institution. Add to these a third feature, that the Club is paying its own way and intends to give the receipts of its concerts to charity, and the trip becomes unusual indeed.

France, by extending its invitation, discredits in part, at least, the notion that foreigners are universally of the opinion that so-called college activities in this country are hardly worth the extraordinary amount of time devoted to them by undergraduates. There will no doubt be a great deal of curiosity to hear what has been called "the best-trained organization of men's voices in America". Perhaps the presence of a club of amateurs, holding this honor and yet representing a single university, will demonstrate that not all our activities consist in the extravagances of college "life"; the Glee Club, at least, should prove that our efforts are often worth while, judged even by the strict European standards.