BRILLIANT ATTACK OF TIGER SEXTET DOWNS CRIMSON 3-1

University Team Shows Poor Shooting and Is Unable to Take Advantage of Breaks--Walker Scores Crimson Goal

Poor shooting on the part of the University hockey team, coupled with inability to take advantage of the breaks, resulted in a Princeton victory by a score of 3 to 1 Saturday evening at the Arena. This was the first defeat of a University hockey team by a Princeton sextet since 1917. It may fairly be said that the Tigers completely outplayed Coach Claflin's men in nearly every department of the game. Their individual play was, on the whole, better, and their team-work was at least equal to that shown by the Crimson stick-handlers.

The University defence was strong, but it could not cope with the clashing, powerful, relentless attack shown by the Orange and Black, in which speedy individual play was combined with superb team-work and more accurate shooting than has been displayed by any team so far encountered by Coach Claflin's men. Easily the best team faced this year by the Crimson skaters, Princeton scored a well-earned victory.

The first Princeton score came as somewhat of a surprise. Davis, star Orange and Black center, took the puck near center-ice, and, when he seemed about to be checked, took a long shot from the left side of the rink which slipped by Chandler Bigelow '25, into the net. This long shot, which came only a few seconds after the opening whistle, was the only tally made by either team in the first period.

In the second session, however, the Princeton team work showed up extremely well, and resulted in two scores for the Tigers. Shortly after the beginning of the period, the entire Princeton forward line carried the puck down the ice to the Crimson defence, where Stout, playing at left wing for the University's opponents, passed to Van Gerbig, who scored on a pretty shot. A few minutes later, Van Gerbig, starting from behind his own cage, raced alone the length of the rink, completely outwitted the Crimson defence, and snapped the puck into the net.

At the opening of the final session, the University players launched a fierce attack that seemed capable of tying the score. A few seconds after the opening of the period, G. G. Walker '24 scored on a pass from center-ice, followed by a beautiful bit of individual skating and stick-handling, but here the Orange and Black defence tightened and no further scores were made.

Captain Owen, W. E. Crosby Jr. '24 and Walker were the individual stars of the Crimson sextet, while Captain Van Gerbig showed exceptionally well for the Orange and Black. Hardly secondary to his was the work of Davis and Stout in the Princeton forward line.

The summary: HARVARD  PRINCETON Walker, Hill, l.w.  r.w., Norrie Larocque, Guild, c.  c., Davis, Snyder Reals, Hill, r.w.  l.w., Stout Owen, l.d.  r.d., Van Gerbig Crosby, r.d.  l.d., Wall Bigelow, g.  g., Gleason

* Score, Princeton 3, Harvard I. Goals, by Davis, Van Gerbig 2, Walker. Referees, MacDonald and Sands. Time, three 15-minute periods.

--

The University Rifle team last Saturday lost to Carnegie Technology of Pittsburgh in a telegraphic match, by a score of 493 to 477.

--