CONSTITUTIONAL LIBERTY LEAGUE LAUDS THAYER

DIED SEPTEMBER 7, 1923 in CAMBRIDGE

William Roscoe Thayer '81, who was for many years an overseer of the University and who died, on September 7, was one of the founders of the Constitutional Liberty League, which recently adopted the tribute to his memory.

Dr. Thayer, who held many degrees from colleges throughout the country, was a nationally-known biographer. His "Life and Times of Cavour", "Life and Letters of John Hay", and "Theodore Roosevelt--an Intimate Biography", secured for him such recognition in biographical work that the National Institution of Arts and Letters awarded him a gold medal for biography in 1918

The tribute adopted last week by the executive committee of the Constitutional Liberty League follows:

WILLIAM ROSCOE THAYER

A Tribute to His Memory

William Roscoe Thayer, who died at Cambridge, Massachusetts, on the Seventh of September, 1923, was one of the founders of the Constitutional Liberty League, and a director from the establishment of the League until his death. He took a lively interest in its affairs and its work and attended meetings until his healh and strength failed.

His love of liberty and freedom, his sense of justice, his strong intelligence, his studious habits and scholarly methods, all made it natural that he should exploit history and ponder the results until he had produced such work as his Cavour, his John Hay, his George Washington, his Theodore Roosevelt.

He was learned and wise; but his manifestations of these qualities were always modest, though unmistakable.

He felt very keenly the dangers to our Republic which come from loose thinking and from departure from the underlying principles of government which our forefathers set up and worked so hard to make permanent.

The League has lost a wise and valued member, liberty has lost a champion, fearless and well-equipped, the community has lost a true citizen. His passing is the occasion of deep and sincere regret.

By order of the Executive Committee, Boston, October 3, 1923. CHARLES L. RACKEMANN,   President.