W. B. GARDNER WINNER OF RICARDO SCHOLARSHIP

UNIVERSITY AWARDS PRIZES IN WIDELY VARYING FIELDS

The winners of several prizes for last year have recently been announced by the University authorities, among them being W. B. Gardner, recipient of the Ricardo Prize Scholarship for study under the supervision of the Department of Economics. He graduated from Brown University in 1920, and received his master's degree at Harvard in 1921, since then serving as an assistant in economics.

Two Toppan prizes for work in political science go to L. D. Steefel, of Rochester, N. Y., a graduate student who received his A. B. degree at Harvard in 1916, and to J. W. Angell '18, of Cambridge, who was Sheldon Travelling fellow in 1922-23.

A first and second Rogers prize go respectively to D. V. Widder 3G., of Harrisburg, Pa., and to F. W. Perkins Jr. 3G., of Cambridge.

The Bowers prize for painting is won by R. S. Wright '26, of Chicago, III., and the Bowers prize for drawing, in pencil, pen, or wash, by M. R. Grosser '24, of Huntsville, Ala.

The essay on Dante by F. V. Blanker, a graduate student at the University of Chicago, won the prize offered by the Dante Society, and M. H. Thiessen '24, of Cleveland, Ohio, received the Susan Anthony Potter prize for his thesis in the field of comparative literature. Two other essays received prizes, that of J. A. Cohen '24, of Fall River, the Bennett prize in political science, and that of B. McK. Henry '24, of Rosemont, Pa., the Winthrop Sargent prize for the best essay relating to Shakespeare or his work.

The Charles J. Wister prize for passing examinations with the highest combined average in mathematics and music, was won by A. C. Berry '25, of Somerville, and the Harvard Menorah Society prize goes to A. V. Goodman '24, of Brookline.

The prize founded in memory of George B. Sohier '52, given for the best thesis presented by a successful candidate for honors in English or Modern Literature, is won this year by a student in Radcliffe College, Miss L. M. Curtis.